arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #1  

nikdfish

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB
Saturday I had been doing some bush-hogging on a long neglected property. The weather had been driy for a while & it was a pretty dusty time as the dry plant material was getting minced.

The area I was cutting was really grown up with briars, brambles, tall weeds, etc. Now I was certainly aware, if anyone had asked, that it was also loaded with poison ivy & poison oak - but nobody asked & it never entered my mind. While I was cutting & boonie bashing, their irritant oils were catching a free ride in the resulting dust clouds.

By Sunday night, even though I had showered thoroughly, to rid myself of the layer of dust & grit that had coated every exposed portion of skin, the tell tale rash was starting to show. By Monday morning I ended up heading in to the local medical folks for steroids... around the hairline, all around the neck & down my chest, both forearms, itching like mad. Glad I was wearing gloves, safety glasses and a filter mask, between them, my hat & beard, my face and hands were pretty well protected (and I don't even want to guess how my respiratory system would be feeling if I had been breathing that unfiltered!)

Oh well, live & learn. Went out & stocked up on Tek-Nu for the next time I'm out there. That's the only stuff I know of that can really wash away the irritant oils.

Nick

ps, power is out here due to the storm front that just went through, which is the only reason I'm currently up - to call the power co. & shut off the beepers on the variou UPS units in the house.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #2  
Happen to my neighbor with a weed whacker. Than he got goats to clean it up for him.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #3  
My sister-in-law nearly died from breathing smoke from a brush fire that contained poison ivy. You were indeed smart to wear that filter mask. :thumbsup:

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #4  
If you know that you're going to be working with PI, then put on the block before hand! You can buy an Ivy Block and put it on like sun screen.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #5  
Right after the 'dusting' go swim in a chlorinated pool, kills it quick!

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #6  
You have my greatest sympathy. That stuff makes me pray for death. I unwittingly picked up a "dry" vine a couple years ago. From the rash I got you'd think smeared it all over myself. I now stock a healthy supply of Round-Up and cutting tools committed to the task of severing larger vines.

FWIW- It's the sap that gets you. If you think you've been exposed, wipe yourself off with alcohol asap. It cuts the sap just like paint thinner would.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #7  
I surely empathize with you.

A couple months ago, I had the same experience; didn't realize there was PI in dust cloud as I brush hogged. I was also wearing a dust mask and well covered except for my face and arms (short sleeves with gloves). I was completely sleeved out (think tattoo) plus hairline and edge of lips in rash.

Zanefel is a PRICEY but highly effective product that will wash away the oils. It is available at the drug stores (Walgreens). I have too many experiences with PI and PO and believe the product is the best. I apply max strength cortisone cream after each Zanefel wash (several times per day) and have found using the combo of the products for 3-4 days to be as effective as steriod shots without the expense or hassle of a visit to the doctor.

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #8  
Just to correct ecoslik... It's Zanfel. I agree that it's the best. I would never let a doctor give me the steroid unless the PI was in the eyes or mouth. Read the risks with it, which I'm sure the doctor covered with you...

/ arrrrrgh! "weaponized" poison ivy/poison oak #9  
I've had poison ivy so many time, I've lost count, maybe as many as 50 times total. Most of these have been minor, but a few bad ones. The only time I get it bad, is when I don't know I've been in it, which is usually the fall, or early spring. Technu is the only stuff I've found that works, but you have to use it right away. I've had the steroids enough times the doctor doesn't like to give them to me any more, but he will if its bad enough. There are very strong steriod creams, not over the counter stuff, that can help a lot, and the long term side affects aren't as severe as the shots or pills.