Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Martin guitars - the next gold?

I know that Martin guitars have really appreciated in the last 10-15 years, but it seems they've really took off lately. A friend of mine went to a local estate auction recently and noted that there was among the items for auction a 1938 Martin 00-18. It needed a neck reset, an aftermarket tailpiece removed and a general clean-up to be in what he would consider decent playable condition. He was interested at first, then the bidding got out of hand. It wound up bringing $17,000. He noted that was well over twice what he expected.
    "Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable." CS Lewis

Elite Member

Default Re: Martin guitars - the next gold?

Nope.
    Bidding fever is never an indication of value.
    I think they're about peaked, though a '38 Martin is certainly worth more than a few bucks (-:

Me ?
    I'd rather have something around that I'm not scared to PLAY - a 30 or so year old Tak right now.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

I am surprised by that price and in that condition. WOW! I have a Pre WW II J-45 Gibson Flat Top that was left to me by may Dad. It is sounding better with age. He bought it for $150 in 1964. The first owner said he played a lot of Road Houses in the forties and fifties with that Guitar. I have been asked to price it but I won't because of sentimental reasons. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Veteran Member

I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where a customer had a vintage Martin in good condition but was not quite so valuable as first thought. Guess not just any Martin is pricey.

I used to make deliveries to the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA.

Tractor
    Kubota 3450 HST

om21braz

Oh wow, I saw that guitar on an auction site and actually thought about bidding for it ..... a lot lower though......geez to rich for blood......

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota l3130

I have a 1956 00-17 in pretty sad shape. I haven't played it for 20 years. I should sell it, I guess.

I saw an episode of Pawn Stars ...
    that show (and most other so called "reality" programs) is entirely scripted...although they do use items of value, the show is ludicrous when it comes to reality...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct yet sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Vintage guitars are usually a good investment, especially the older USA-made Martins, Gibsons, and Fenders. I've played for years and have bought,traded and sold numerous guitars.

With the introduction of e-bay, everything changed. Used to be you could go into a music store,pawn shop, or through classified ads and pick up an older Fender or Gibson for a reasonable price, but now shop owners and private sellers have access to a world-wide market and that has really driven up the prices of vintage,collector-quality instruments.

I would suggest to anyone who has a vintage Martin, Gibson, or Fender to hold on to it unless you just really need the cash. Most everything made today is Mexican,Chinese,Korean, or made in India, using poor quality materials and assembly line production by cheap labor workers, most of whom could care less about the quality.

Those old Martins/Gibsons/Fenders were made with old-growth timber and top-quality materials and most of the building/construction processes were performed by craftsmen who took great pride in their work.

In other words, they don't make 'em like that anymore! So they will only appreciate in value.
    "If Daddy can't fix it, it's BROKE!"

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by QRTRHRS View Post
    I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where a customer had a vintage Martin in good condition but was not quite so valuable as first thought. Guess not just any Martin is pricey.

I used to make deliveries to the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA.
    Seems anything pre-war is quite valuable - whether it sounds good or not. Just because it is pre-war does'nt make it "better sounding". Lots of small makers out there now recreating very good Martin pre-war reproductions at a fraction of the price.
    "Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable." CS Lewis

"Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

WOW! That's not a market I'd be in. I'd like to just step up a notch or two with one that I can play and not worry about. I've considered a custom but WOW! again. Of course, custom and quality does spell price and should, I guess. I need to play better so I can justify spending the xtra money. Below are a couple of sites I pay a little attention to.

Elderly Instruments - Welcome - Elderly Instruments

Welcome to Jenkins & Son Lame Horse Instruments
    Jay

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so" Ronald Reagan

But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 NIV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast