Box Elder Bugs?

/ Box Elder Bugs? #1  

Daryl

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30,, Kubota Bx2360
Besides having problems with Lady bugs I have a problem with "Box elder bugs" not sure if that is what they are but in spring and fall they cover the part of the house that is in the sun. They are black with an orange spot on their back when they open their wings.
Have tried everything to get rid of them. They don't seem to hurt anything but would like to get rid of them.Yesterday they had to be thousands of them. Temp was back up in 70"s.
Anyone else have them?

daryl

/ Box Elder Bugs? #2  
I have a friend that used a mixture of water and liquid Tide on the bugs. The mixture appeared to work as they were all gone the next day.

/ Box Elder Bugs? #3  
We're with you on the lady bug infestation...in addition to the lady bugs, we get hundreds (HUNDREDS) of wasps and flies..the big as a bus, heavy duty flies that move real slow. The flies really .. well.. let's just say, they're gross.

I'll wonder & hope someone might have idea on how to prevent the fly infestation? (Wife is neat freak, so not food attraction...seems to be warmth attraction)

Richard

/ Box Elder Bugs? #4  
Here in the mountains of northern Utah, we don't have the lady bugs but we are LOADED with the box elders this year. To read about them, go here:http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/boxelder.html. We had an exterminator out that used what he called a "soap based" pesticide on them. Killed them by the millions but they were back in force within a week. I think spraying made things worse because of the mess of cleaning up the dead ones. I literally had to use a snow shovel in places to scoop up the dead bodies!

/ Box Elder Bugs? #5  
It hit 70 in Central PA over the weekend and out came the box elder bugs. I spoke to an exterminator who told me that it was a waste of money to spray for them because they'll come right back.

Boy do they stink if you smash'em.

Kip