cell signal booster???

/ cell signal booster??? #1  

tungularafishcamp

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48
I will be spending a couple months in Oregon every winter and we have very slight cell service on the family farm and none at all in any of the buildings. Is anyone aware of any kind of antenna or booster that will up the signal strength for area instead of those metalic stickers for the cell batteries? Was thinking of trying cell service for the internet too but would be a drag to have to go up on the hill in the rain just to get on tbn:)
Rick

/ cell signal booster??? #2  
I have had two over the years, and have found them to be "iffy" at best.

Will sometimes get a good signal, and will frequently get no signal despite placing the antenna in a high location.

The one I have now is the zBoost made by YX company, or something phonetic like that.

The antenna is 35' above grade, and if I reboot the device and stay within 10 feet of the broadcast antenna, I get reception for about 10 minutes. Then something goes haywire and the device must be rebooted again to get another 10 minutes use out of it.

All in all, it sort of works, but hardly worth the effort.

If you want one get a different brand.

/ cell signal booster??? #3  
There are quite a few firms selling both boosters/repeaters & hi-gain antennae. You can either get a solution that ties directly to a phone via an external antenna port or a repeater style solution that works for multiple pones within a given physical area. Costs vary based how involved the approach is. A simple in-house repeater system could run $300 - $500 using a simple omni directional antenna. Add a good hi-gain directional antenna (pointed at your nearest service provider tower) & cable for another couple hundred. If you need a mast or tower for the antenna, then you need to figure that in.

Talk to a few system providers & find one that can tailor a package to your requirements rather than just sell you a generic package off the shelf.

Google the keywords: cellular, repeater, and ampllifier and you should get plenty of leads to start looking at.

Nick

/ cell signal booster???
Thanks guys, I did do a google search and saw all the different units. When I was trying to increase my fm signal out here at fish camp(preinternet) I tried several units and none of them worked. Before I plunk down a few hundred I wanted to find one that I know would work as I have had a hard time getting any money back on electronic items.
Rick

/ cell signal booster??? #5  
We have one of the ZBoost devices. Basically, you mount the antenna as high up in the eaves of you home/building, or somewhere outside. A cable runs from the antenna to the ZBoost device inside your home. You then have an area inside surrounding the device where you can connect.

The distance we can get from the Zboost device is about 25 feet.

You must at least be able to pick up a weak cell signal at the location you mount the antenna. If you are too far from a cell tower to at least have that, the ZBoost will not help.

/ cell signal booster??? #6  
The one I have now is the zBoost made by YX company, or something phonetic like that.

The antenna is 35' above grade, and if I reboot the device and stay within 10 feet of the broadcast antenna, I get reception for about 10 minutes. Then something goes haywire and the device must be rebooted again to get another 10 minutes use out of it.

All in all, it sort of works, but hardly worth the effort.

I have never had the rebooting issue with our ZBoost. There are different models (or were when we ordered ours 3-4 years ago). You have to make sure the type you buy is compatible with your carriers signal type.

/ cell signal booster??? #7  
I have been researching the same thing and 'Wilson Electronics' seems to come up quite a bit as a leading provider for boosting cell signals.. From reviews on different forums i can boost a signal quite a bit - but only if you have a signal available..

Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

I just ordered a Wilson Sleek for my mifi - it can only be used with one phone at a time though.. Ill let you know how/if it improves the signal

Brian

/ cell signal booster??? #8  
Does your cell phone have an external antenna jack? I did and used a welson trucker antenna with an amp. That sucker worked great. I think they make models if you have no jack. Call the 3g.com store, they will hook you up.

/ cell signal booster???
My phone doesnt and at different places on the farm we can get signals from 2 different towers. There are 5 different houses on the farm(more like a family semi retirement community now) so was hoping to get one or several that could boost the signal to all the houses as well as the metal barn and outbuildings. If I located it centrally the farthest building is less than 250 yards away.
Rick

/ cell signal booster??? #10  
I use a Cellphone Mate with a cradle the picks up inductively meaning any phone will work but it has to be in the cradle to work. Without the booster I cannot use the phone. I would buy another if this one failed it works so well. I have the same unit in my truck. I purchased from WPS Antennas.