Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts?

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts? #1  

jonyyuma

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952
Hi, I am looking for some treatment for the pecan trees I raised? They are hybrids, but I have some old stuarts too.The fruits or nuts are not formed or have big black spots on them. this year is a lot worst? Any solutions out there? Jy.

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts? #2  
Why the double post (here and in the South section)?

Check with the folks in your local Cooperative Extension Service office.

Steve

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts? #3  
If your weather was like mine and really wet this summer, you may just be seeing more fungal damage than usual. How's the zinc level of your soil? I use zinc sulfate to supplement mine. I've never had it tested for my place, but have read that low zinc is common in my area, and I don't think the amounts I am feeding will get the level too high. Pecans really need zinc for good nut production, and it might be important to fight off diseases.

Chuck

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts?
I double posted to get any opinion from other people, whom might not refer to the South posting? I know that Pecans grow all over the country...So maybe i should not have done it? I have referenced several garden and tree books to no avail. Thanks. Jy.

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts? #5  
Jon,

It's OK to post in more than one forum....at least IMHO. Some of the forums see more activity that others. I don't think the "wasted" band width is much to worry about.

Chuck

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts? #6  
I hope you got an answer already.

If not, stink bugs cause black spots on otherwise good nuts. For nuts that are just black or otherwise worthless or shriveled inside, there can be more than one cause. Weevils or casebearer or other insects can cause that when the shells are beginning to harden. It's hard to say without seeing them and knowing the exact timing of it. It could also be scab like the other response said.

/ Pecan tree problems? Black spot nuts? #7  
Post some pictures of the affected nuts so that we can get a better idea, please.