Approximate fence costs per foot

/ Approximate fence costs per foot #11  
I'll be fencing in a pasture area next year and was curious about approximate cost per linear foot. I know a lot depends on terrain, gates, etc but I was trying to get an idea how expensive this is going to be. I'll either be using split rail or Centaur 4" or 5" tape fencing and the total length will be about 1,500'.
I used Centaur HTP in the past and there were online prices or simply ask for quotes. At that time Centaur required posts no more than twelve feet apart and at least the braces set in concrete as I recall to meet the 20 year warranty requirements. Based on that, you can get a rough idea on material costs anyway.

I like Centaur for horse pasture and for other than bruises and such resulting from rough behavior, consider it to be one of the safest of fences but it is pricey. If you do go with HTP, you may as well get the kind that conduct electric.

If your fence is to include any "H" braces, I would want the "Hotcote" type of tensile wire used for the diagonals. Makes them much more safer.

One more thing about HTP, it does not lend itself well to abrupt changes in elevation, tending to bow or ripple.

/ Approximate fence costs per foot #12  
RobA said:
C$19k? Currently that's about US$19k.....or in a year it might be US$10k:eek:

Ya ya.....

It's a good time for us right now. Don't forget though that there is some chance that it could be 25k USD!!! Fort McMurray's not goin' anywhere...and the M1A1 may have performed in the sand, but I'm pretty sure it'll sink in the muskeg!!

:)

I think we should both be concerned with how many Chinese Renminbi we'll need to buy our fenceposts!!

-Jer.

/ Approximate fence costs per foot #13  
flyingcow said:
Got a rough quote for my 600ft driveway, $3000.00 Give or take. Looks about right?

I think so.

Is that installed?? If so your doing great!!

The numbers I gave were just for materials. Don't forget to budget in a post pounder rental, or auger, and the cost of all the pizza and beer you'll have to buy your neighbors and friends to get them to help!!

JMO - if you are going to auger, unless you have a lot of time to kill, don't bother with a 3pt auger. Rent a SS with an auger for the weekend. If you need a guide on how to punch holes in rocky ground, let me know. I learned that the hard way on 100 posts in Hinton

Give Bob at Beaver a call, he's a good guy.

-Jer.

/ Approximate fence costs per foot #14  
Was bored last night - here are pics of the beaver fence. I've also included a pic of the post and rail I did in Hinton using lag bolts.

-Jer.

Attachments

• CIMG0140.jpg
    CIMG0140.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 189
  • beaver fence road.jpg
    beaver fence road.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 176
  • beaver fence.jpg
    beaver fence.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 129
   / Approximate fence costs per foot #16  
jgrreed said:
Was bored last night - here are pics of the beaver fence. I've also included a pic of the post and rail I did in Hinton using lag bolts.

-Jer.

Nice looking fence. Course I doubt it would keep my dogs in and the pigs out, but sure is prettier than my hogwire.

/ Approximate fence costs per foot #17  
Nice looking fence. Course I doubt it would keep my dogs in and the pigs out, but sure is prettier than my hogwire.

Thank you for the kind words. It is a nice place. I'm very fortunate to have been introduced to it. Banff and Canmore draw the vast majority of the tourist attention in AB and eastern BC, but the Jasper/Hinton/Grande Cache area is fantastic. It's more raw and less 'ritzy', but with that comes the ability to relatively freely enjoy sledding, quadding, horse trips, and hunting.

We have unfortunately moved from there to the flat lands of Saskatchewan, but my name's still on title, for now. SK is pretty too, in different, but simpler ways that appeal to other senses like smell, and peace of mind.

Maine/Vermont, etc. is a place that always intrigued me. I plan on visiting sometime and skiing a few days.

You're right, it wouldn't do much with pigs or dogs, but it kept the horses where they belonged!! a little fine chicken wire laid across the back of the rails though would keep smaller critters in.

-Jer.

Last edited:
   / Approximate fence costs per foot #18  
Part of Maine I'm from, I'm closer to your other Canadian territories, New Brunswick(30 miles away) and Quebec(120 miles), if i want to go to New Hampshire, thats 250 miles away.