Price of venison

/ Price of venison #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
This is bit odd. Somebody I know wants to buy tenderloin and few pounds of the butt off of a deer I killed. There is no service exchange or such possible and I think taking money for the meat makes it easy for both sides.

Mind you, I am not reselling my venison in bulk - just this guy wants meat and wants to pay me for it. I believe technically it is no legal to resell venison.

Anyway, what price per pound? Like free range beef? When I checked online, venison lists around $1 per pound.

Ideas?

Again, don't bash me. It just can't be free and there is no other way to make it fair exchange for both sides.

/ Price of venison #3  
IMO game meat is worth far more than beef. There's a lot of work involved in putting up some venison in the freezer. People pay high price tags to consume farm raised "game" in uppity restaurants.

/ Price of venison #4  
IMO game meat is worth far more than beef. There's a lot of work involved in putting up some venison in the freezer. People pay high price tags to consume farm raised "game" in uppity restaurants.

Are you kidding?

Have you ever raised a beef? It's a lot more work then shooting a deer.

/ Price of venison #5  
How well do you know this guy... trap. Give him the meat for free... but have him "buy" something else.

IF I were to put a price on my deer meat, it would be a lot of $$$$. I get just enough for the year.

Last edited:
   / Price of venison #6  
It is illegal for me to sell live crab to anyone but a regular fish processer but I can legally trade/barter it. I have people (nonfriends) that want crab from me come to the fuel dock when I am there and then trade crab for fuel, I give the fuel dock a few crab for the hassle and everyone gets what they want and no laws are broken.
Rick
I know at least here in Alaska game animal meat or parts can't be sold but barter is ok

/ Price of venison #7  
I doubt it is legal to sell but if you are ok with breaking the law, I know that my cost to produce venison (free-range) averages about $1.00/lb. That includes hunting licence, ammunition and cost to produce a few crops to draw them in for easy shooting. I gave up on beef years ago at around the same time the local deer population exploded. I was never able to produce beef for $1.00/lb, even 25 years ago when a dollar went a lot further. The deer I shoot on my farm taste better than beef, are healthier to eat, and more fun to harvest. I feel sorry for the folks who feel the need to raise or eat beef (including 5 generations of my ancestors who previously worked my farm and mostly died of heart desease). I know that my wife would pay a lot more for venison, but luckily she dont need to. If it were legal to sell free-range venison, I am sure this "gravy train" would come to an end, so I am thankfull they throw the book at folks who try and sell it. Most parts of this country are grossly overpopulated with deer and it is a **** shame that this fine recource is not better utilized. If I ever get more than my family can eat in a year, I just give it away. If I come up short myself, my nieghbors always help me out. We aint had to buy any beef in more than 10 years.

/ Price of venison #8  
My wife had reindeer in a Swedish cafe once and it was very expensive. That said, I'd say the price is entirely between you and your friend - but a dollar per pound sounds pretty cheap. Especially for tenderlion.

/ Price of venison #9  
I had venison at a fancy restaurant near Washington, DC on Thursday night. The serving was about 8 oz., and the price on the menu was $38. :)

/ Price of venison #10  
This is bit odd. Somebody I know wants to buy tenderloin and few pounds of the butt off of a deer I killed. There is no service exchange or such possible and I think taking money for the meat makes it easy for both sides.

Mind you, I am not reselling my venison in bulk - just this guy wants meat and wants to pay me for it. I believe technically it is no legal to resell venison.

Anyway, what price per pound? Like free range beef? When I checked online, venison lists around $1 per pound.

Ideas?

Again, don't bash me. It just can't be free and there is no other way to make it fair exchange for both sides.

If you charged him what it truly cost you to get it to him, he probably could not afford it. I would just give it to him. Maybe someday he will do you a favor. Ken Sweet