Remote controlled helicopters

/ Remote controlled helicopters #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Can any give me some hints on buying a remote controlled helicopter?

Looking for one for my father for Christmas. He's pushing 80, stays very active (just came back from a week long fly fishing trip in some cold weather) and he mentioned that he picked up a "cheap" (he said he paid $30 bucks for it) electric helicopter that he has been enjoying using INSIDE the house.

You've got to know my dad. If he doesn't own it, he doesn't need it. I buy him something he says he doesn't need, then he'll call me up thanking me when he finally uses it saying it's the greatest thing since slice bread (but he'd never buy it himself:laughing:)

I kind of figure that there may be something better out there that he could really sink his teeth into when he comes to visit since he'd have the room to actually fly something outside.

/ Remote controlled helicopters #2  
Ready To Fly Helicopters

tons of options depending on skill level and budget

I fly a raptor 30 around the back, but its a bit more aggressive than the little electrics ... that being said there is a middle ground for a couple hundred bucks that can handle a crash and the wind

the small electrics are very light, and while they can handle a crash, the wind makes them very difficult to fly outside

/ Remote controlled helicopters #3  
Ok- I need a helicopter like I need a hole in my head, but darn them things look cool and fun! I wouldn't mine one myself by don't know a darn thing about them so this thread will be interest.... good post

/ Remote controlled helicopters #4  
Hey Sig, didn't Pineridge post recently that he is into the multi blade choppers. They seem to have a bunch of advantages and it also seems you pay the price for them.

MarkV

/ Remote controlled helicopters
Hey Sig, didn't Pineridge post recently that he is into the multi blade choppers. They seem to have a bunch of advantages and it also seems you pay the price for them.

MarkV

My dad is at a point in his life where he likes things simple:D

I could be wrong, but I thought in that thread the machines were running well over 1k.

/ Remote controlled helicopters #6  
Check Harbor Freight. They have mostly airplanes, but they are inexpensive enough that if they crash and break, its not the end of the world.

/ Remote controlled helicopters
And your thinking a RC helicopter falls into that column ?

Well, if he's already playing around with something simple around $30, I figure there must be something a little better for a little more money that he might have more fun with.

Give you an idea of what kind of man he is, after he got out of the service after putting in 25 plus years, he saved enough after he got out to pay cash for a house, retire from two other jobs, and still works part time at a fly fishing shop. He likes to stay busy and NOT spend money, unless it's on a trip with his buddies up to Alaska or Montana.

/ Remote controlled helicopters #9  
My brother bought a small RC helicopter 2 years ago. He paid about $100 for it. You need a large open area to learn to fly it in. Be ready to buy lots of replacement rotor blades especially if flying indoors(lamps,light fixtures, picture frames:laughing:) By the time you learn to fly it, the motor will be worn out. I don't know how good the instruction manuals are now, but the one for my brother's helicopter was poorly translated from chinese to english. He bought another one from Hobby-Lobby RC with 30 inch single main rotor, it was real nice except for one little defect...the tail rotor servo would not work and the battery charger cable was also missing. It had a crappy owners manual with it too. He sent it back.

/ Remote controlled helicopters #10  
The next easiest to fly from the $30 junk is the Blade CX2.

RC HOBBIES - Blade CX2 RTF Electric Coaxial Micro Helicopter

It's not cheap, but it's not junk.

Anyone can fly one of these with a few minutes of practice. And with a few upgrades, (change some of the plastic parts to metal pieces), it is relatively crash proof. You will only need to replace an occasional rotor blade, (cheap).

If you have a hobby store in your area, they will usually let you fly one of these in the store.

It can be flown outdoors, but only when there is no wind.

There are also battery upgrades that give it more power and longer flying times.

Don't even think about anything, but a Coaxial heli like this, without a tail rotor. Otherwise, you will spend all your time working on it, and go broke.