corn stoves

/ corn stoves #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
Anyone bought or know of a person who has bought and used the compact corn burning stove in the northern tool catalog?
do they work? are they worth $999 is what I think they priced at.

/ corn stoves #2  
Seems you are the only one who can answer the "is it worth it?" question. What are your alternatives for heat, and how much will you save using the corn stove? How many years and how much corn would you have to buy to pay off the $1000 investment? Can you easily buy the corn that is needed to burn in the corn stove, and at what price would the corn heat be compared to what you might have now?
Good luck on your decision. I looked at them a couple of times, but could not beat the wood heat I have now.

/ corn stoves #3  
It's on sale for $969. What a bargain!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ corn stoves #4  
The thing that I really like about the idea of a corn or pellet burning stove is that you can set the thing up to feed itself. I have not seen a wood stove that can do that.

/ corn stoves #5  
I saw a self feeding wood stove once. It was more like a furnace and had a big conveyor on it to move logs. Probably wouldn't fit in the living room too good, though. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ corn stoves #6  
the thing i like about the corn stoves, is less possibility of price fixing. with pellets, there are only a couple places that sell them, so the prices could be fixed quite easily.
heehaw

/ corn stoves #7  
I have one of these stoves, and used it for about 2 years (till about 5 years ago) then corn price went up to about 4 dollars a bushal. I used this stove all winter 24 hrs a day and it would use up about 1 bushel a day. at $1.50 a bushal it was not bad at $4.00 a bushal that is no good so I stoped using it and it now just sits in my shed.
It was a good producer of heat the only problem besides the fluctuating price of corn was a white dust i would get on things when the burner was in use.
the other problem was removing the clinkers. that is a hard deposit of unburnt carbon that you had to remove once a day (if it ran all day) and still try and keep the stove going (with no smoke) it was a very neat novilty but it wore out with the price of corn.

/ corn stoves #8  
I don't who you're buying your corn from but $4 a bushel is almost double what corn is going for. You should be able to buy corn for at the most $2.50 a bushel. We're getting $2.20 at the elevator.

/ corn stoves #9  
he's probably like me, and buying corn in small quantities, which makes the price higher. i don't have a way to store corn, so i get it in 50 pound bags for @ $4 or less.
heehaw

/ corn stoves #10  
You can just go to the coop and get corn, oats, etc. in bulk. If you have a pickup just go there and tell them you want say 1000 lbs. They will dump it in your pickup. Back when I was poor and in school this is the way I did it. Then I would take it back to the place I was living at and put it in a big plastic container that used to be for fertilizer. I washed it out real good and built a lid for it. I fed my horses like this for five years while I was in graduate school.