Marking property lines

/ Marking property lines #11  
Just a side note - and I'm sure it's not the case for everyone - but alot of the pins that mark my property boundaries are not the actual "corners" of the property. If you read the deed, you will see that the pin is a reference point for the corner of the property. Reason being, their is a fence post in what is acknowledged by the survey as the property line.

Alot of this goes back to the meets-and-bounds method of land surveying. On my original deed, which went back to the 1800s, it references a boundary between my land and my neighbor to the west as being a creek. Well, there's no creek there! From what old folks have told me, people started using the creek as a dump, it filled in over the years, and eventually re-routed to the other side of my neighbors property.

Anyway, I say all that just say that it's a good idea to read what the survey/deed actually says and not assume that the pins are the actual corners of the property.

Good luck and take care.

/ Marking property lines #12  
Here in Ohio, I believe that if you destroy survey markers on a shared property line, you are required by law to have a surveyor replace them at your expense.

It also seems to me that sometimes the prior owner of the property either didn't really know where the boundries were

Yes, the previous owner of some property we had in the past did not know where the corner was. I found out that we owned another 100+ feet AND the creek :) It had survey stakes but I guess he never looked across the creek. I found it using a compass.

Ken

/ Marking property lines #13  
What kind of neighbor would pull your surveyed pin ???

The neighbor pulled out THEIR wooden markers not mine. I had the land surveyed by the same people that did the sub-division plans. This neighbor thinks she owns everything. She is a High School teacher and has all the kids treed, and then she meet me. :D

Last edited:
   / Marking property lines #14  
Transit didn't say pin he said stake. To me pins are permanent like steel. Stakes are just a temporary more visible wooden marker to show where the pin is hidden.
He also said "their" stakes....it is common around here for surveyors to put said stakes on the property being surveyed. It isn't on the adajcent properties, so that being said they have every right to pull them up. But no one should ever pull the ones on someone elses property.
Maybe its regional but thats the way it is around here.
Big difference...maybe Transit will come back and clarify.

Sorry, should have said PIN for me, wooden stake for neighbor. Pull pins = court case, fins, jail.

/ Marking property lines #16  
My markers (town lot) were surveyed by neighbors at different times, so I didn't have to pay! I augured a 4" post hole at each corner, filled them with concrete level with the surface & enough rebar to be able to find with a metal detector if they get covered. ~~ grnspot110

/ Marking property lines #17  
I have been surveying since 1996. I have seen all kinds of odd things when it comes to neighbor disputes over property lines. I have even seen a guy cut his rebar down the middle with a hacksaw because he "owned" that half. It is a misdemeanor to remove a surveyors pin. A lot of the time we set a wood lathe for a witness post. Of course you can remove these. But don't get them mixed up with whats actually set in the ground or flush. The best way to mark your corners is to dig around the pipe or rebar about the size of a coffee can. and then fill it with concrete and add a few magnets in the mix. this will make it easy for you to find it with a cheapo metal detector. Or really easy for us to find it with our equipment. As far as neighbors moving or pulling pins. There is only one way to stop that. You need to make a swing tie sketch of the point. Another words you draw a sketch of the point and then measure to at least 3 known points or land marks like a house corner, trees, fence post, manholes etc. Later on you can measure back from these points and where your distances cross is exactly where your corner rebar is. This way you wont need to hire a surveyor to find them again. You can pound nails or we use Mag nails into a couple of trees around the area. This makes it easy to identify, if your corner is in the middle of the woods with no other landmarks around. 3 ribbons or surveyors flags also means a corner is near by. Or 3 slashes in a tree with an axe or machete. Just make sure the tree is on your side.

/ Marking property lines #18  
I augured a 4" post hole at each corner, filled them with concrete level with the surface & enough rebar to be able to find with a metal detector if they get covered. ~~ grnspot110
I like that idea.

/ Marking property lines #19  
My boundries are all woods. I cut pieces of aluminum flashing into 3 inch squares and simply nailed them to trees using aluminum roofing nails. Every couple of years I check them and if a tree fell over or whatever I just put up another. Real easy to see the lines.

/ Marking property lines #20  
I bought an 8 acre piece of wooded property a few years ago. It's a mile long and 72' wide. The survey cost me $10,000.00 and all they did was put pins in the 4 corners.

Now I want to build a fence on part of it but it is impossible to tell where the property line is since the pins are a mile apart in the woods.

I called the surveyor back and he wants $2000.00 more to come set pins every 500' on the property line. :mad:

I have no choice so I am going to go pay him today to set the pins.