Marking property lines

/ Marking property lines #31  
Using GPS is a very iffy proposition. You never know how accurate and precise you really are. The same GPS unit in the same location can vary at different times based on weather, foliage, satellites, etc. You can normally be 95% certain that you are within 10 - 30' of where you think you are, I believe.

Unfortunately, it is not that they are very precise but just inaccurate with the exact location. Their precision is constantly varying.

So, they are great if you own 100 acres and you just want to know approximately where you are. But if you want to know if you can cut down that particular tree on what you think is the lot line, they are not so great. Or so I have been told.

Ken

/ Marking property lines #32  
Thanks for speaking up Springhollow. Hand held GPS is not that great. Survey grade GPS cost anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000. I strongly discourage people from doing there own surveying. I am licensed to survey in two states.

That said, its not like surveyors have the corner on the measuring market. Carpenters measure 2x4's all the time and get them the right length without our help. Its just when a person does his own surveying, I've seen a lot of bad things happen.

30 acres for $500. I'm pretty amazed. Either the guy was desperate for work, was unlicensed, or was a buddy. Its tough for me to do simple lot surveys in town for $500.

As far as the OP goes, if you had your property surveyed at one time, there is not a thing wrong with freshing the marks up every few years, and lots of good advice on here on how to do it.

/ Marking property lines #33  
I put down 1 inch stainless pipe two feet into ground and 2 feet sticks out, at the corners. On other property, the surveyor used steel fence post on the corners for me. yeap I had one so- and so pull one fence post out of the ground.I put it back into the hole. Any of you ever hear of a "witness tree"? Jy.

/ Marking property lines
As far as the OP goes said:
That is exactly what I am doing.
I got the PVC pipe.
Should I just drive the PVC over the steel pin or put it beside the pins?
I also want to put some kind of markings on the trees along my borders as well.
Nobody has mention anything about using paint?
The US Forest Service uses red paint on their side.
sherpa

/ Marking property lines #35  
I use flourescent paint, flagging, and hatch marks on trees. The paint if exposed to the sun will not last long nor will flagging or posted signs. :eek:

I and a neighbor have put in Tposts to mark our corners. I have had said T posts stolen. Next time I am putting in wood posts. :laughing:

Or maybe I should start piling up rocks. We gots lots of rocks..... :D

Later,
Dan

/ Marking property lines #37  
Consumer grade gps is only accurate to 30 or so feet at best. Even with WAAS. Surveyors gps is going to cost ya around 30,000 but you can get down to a couple of .01's. They do make a handheld for surveyors or wetland delineation but that still cost around 2,000, its only submeter at best. And you have to post process to get anything decent.
If you really want to know where the lines are you have to bite the bullet and pay for it;) Or find a guy that will work on the weekends cheaper.

/ Marking property lines
I am not going to put up a fence, I just want a walking path on my lines so I can access my hilly forest property and know where my line is. I want to harvest the down oak trees for firewood as well. All my corners (8) are well marked with the surveyor pins from 20 years ago.
sherpa

/ Marking property lines #39  
Consumer grade gps is only accurate to 30 or so feet at best. Even with WAAS. Surveyors gps is going to cost ya around 30,000 but you can get down to a couple of .01's. They do make a handheld for surveyors or wetland delineation but that still cost around 2,000, its only submeter at best. And you have to post process to get anything decent.
If you really want to know where the lines are you have to bite the bullet and pay for it;) Or find a guy that will work on the weekends cheaper.

Everything I have read says consumer grade GPS with WAAS is accurate withing 3 meters (or better). That has been my experience with my Garmin.

Granted, this isn't good enough for surveying... but it can get you pretty darn close... if that is all you're after.

/ Marking property lines #40  
That is exactly what I am doing.
I got the PVC pipe.
Should I just drive the PVC over the steel pin or put it beside the pins?
Put the PVC NEXT to or near the pin NOT over it. Otherwise you will disturb the pin, make it impossible for the next surveyor to find the pin or you could get in trouble for moving a pin.
One of the first things I was taught when I worked for a surveyor is that you DO NOT move a pin once it has been set (no matter what). Set a new one offset by x amount yes, but you never move a pin (even to straighten it) as someone else may have used it as a reference and moving it could throw them off.

Aaron Z