Marking property lines

/ Marking property lines #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I am wanting to mark my property lines again.
My property contains trees, hills and hollars.
My property boundaries join with the US Forest Service.
I usually use marking ribbon, it last about 3 years.
I think I used spray paint once and it did not last 2 years.
I have always used 3 ribbons at the corners with pins.
Are there any rules about marking your property lines?
What do you use to mark your property lines with?
What do you do at the "Iron Pins" in the ground at each corner?
Sherpa

/ Marking property lines #2  
I have used White PVC next to the iron pipe to make it more visible and photographed them, one neighbor dose not like it; they pulled up their survey stakes. As I remarked, "I know where all my boundaries are and I don"t care where your property is? I can use any pin to locate my boundaries. "Good fences make good neighbors" Ben Franklin. :thumbsup:

/ Marking property lines #3  
sherpa-

Our surveyor marked the pins with T-posts and ribbons. I like the idea of slipping white PVC pipe over the T-posts to make it even easier to see the corners.

Transit-

Hard to figure out why someone would pull surveyor pins. That one has me puzzled. I had a survey done on our place when we bought it, and one of the neighbors tried to claim the surveyor was wrong on where the pins were placed. Ultimately he had to recognize that the surveyor was right. Fortunately we now get along with the neighbor, but it didn't look like it would be very friendly for a while.

It also seems to me that sometimes the prior owner of the property either didn't really know where the boundries were, or was trying to make the property seem bigger than it is to make it easier to sell. Since most people who are buying won't pay to find out for sure either, it can get to be a mess down the road.

GGB

GGB

/ Marking property lines #4  
Another vote for the PVC pipe. I took a post hole digger and dug just inside my property corners. I sank a 3" PVC pipe x5' in and put a cap on it. I can stand just about anywhere on my wooded lot and see the corners. I put a healthy pile of wood chips around each post so I don't get too close with the brush hog.

/ Marking property lines #5  
When we bought an L shape plot around our current place that is very hilly I had them set a wood stake a the top and bottom of every slope then drove T posts so if we ever fence it we can run a string from post to post.

After my dad was nearly killed by a neighbor when he was working on his tractor on his own place because the new owner said the survey was wrong the first thing I try to do is to make sure the markers are clear and strong.

The first mistake my father made was letting the prior owner doze out the old fence row with huge trees with old wire deep in them from before anyone one then living were around.

If I find a small tree on any new line fence I now nail to it for the sake of my kids/future grand kids.

/ Marking property lines #6  
What kind of neighbor would pull your surveyed pin ???

/ Marking property lines #7  
   / Marking property lines #8  
Galvinized or black iron pipe was driven flush with the ground on our farm 70 years ago. It has remained along with some well rusted fence "T" posts. A surveyor told me the original marks were made on stones buried below the surface. As stated before good fences make good neighbors. Had great neighbors for 30 years then they passed away. Did not realize how important boundaries were until the new folks moved in with expanded veiws of their property lines.

/ Marking property lines #9  
Also pvc pipe w/cap on top end..by the road side granite post for it looks better.

/ Marking property lines #10  
GGB said:
Hard to figure out why someone would pull surveyor pins.

What kind of neighbor would pull your surveyed pin ???

Transit didn't say pin he said stake. To me pins are permanent like steel. Stakes are just a temporary more visible wooden marker to show where the pin is hidden.
He also said "their" stakes....it is common around here for surveyors to put said stakes on the property being surveyed. It isn't on the adajcent properties, so that being said they have every right to pull them up. But no one should ever pull the ones on someone elses property.
Maybe its regional but thats the way it is around here.
Big difference...maybe Transit will come back and clarify.