Eggs & Egg Prices

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
I find lots of reading on the Internet about egg prices after the big recall in August; some saying wholesale prices were up 40%. Well, for some time, I've been buying "Jumbo" eggs at Walmart for $1.38 a dozen right into the first of October. Then in early October, they went up to $1.56 a dozen, then a week or two later, to $1.76 a dozen, then this month to $1.84 a dozen. Walmart's price "Roll Back" is tough.:laughing: So last week, instead of $1.84 a dozen for Jumbo eggs, I bought a dozen "Large" eggs for $0.99. I don't expect that price to last long, but these "Large" eggs sure seem small after getting accustomed to the "Jumbo" eggs.:laughing:

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #2  
I find lots of reading on the Internet about egg prices after the big recall in August; some saying wholesale prices were up 40%. Well, for some time, I've been buying "Jumbo" eggs at Walmart for $1.38 a dozen right into the first of October. Then in early October, they went up to $1.56 a dozen, then a week or two later, to $1.76 a dozen, then this month to $1.84 a dozen. Walmart's price "Roll Back" is tough.:laughing: So last week, instead of $1.84 a dozen for Jumbo eggs, I bought a dozen "Large" eggs for $0.99. I don't expect that price to last long, but these "Large" eggs sure seem small after getting accustomed to the "Jumbo" eggs.:laughing:

Bird...They are small, I agree with you..What now passes for large eggs, we used to call pullet eggs...I am absolutely sure you remember what a genuine large egg was like ...say in the 1960's..there is now no comparison...Am I right ?:)

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #3  

Did they close the egg farm in TX.that was in the news last week, might be why the price has gone up.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices
Bird...They are small, I agree with you..What now passes for large eggs, we used to call pullet eggs...I am absolutely sure you remember what a genuine large egg was like ...say in the 1960's..there is now no comparison...Am I right ?:)

Don't believe I've heard of "pullet eggs" since the 1950s, but yep, you're right.:laughing: But at least with the Jumbo eggs I've been buying, it wasn't unusual to get a double yolked egg.

Did they close the egg farm in TX.that was in the news last week, might be why the price has gone up.

I apparently missed something in the news, since I don't know what you're talking about. The eggs I buy are "branded" as "Lone Star Farmers Market, produced under a license in Rogers, AR, and packed in Chillicothe, TX, and Nebo, OK.":confused: So I have no idea where the hens are that laid these eggs.:laughing:

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #5  
In our area free range eggs go for $3.75. Haven't purchased store eggs for a long time. It is my understanding that most of the eggs in the large stores have been stored in cooler warehouses for weeks if not even a month or two so they sure aren't fresh. When we have compared our eggs to the store eggs it seems ours are around twice the size. Our little girls have laid eggs that weigh up to 4 ounces. :) Sure a big differnce when you see them side by side. Our eggs are firm with a golden yoke :licking: , not like the store bought which are running and the yoke is a pale yellow. Perhaps Bird you could look at going to a farmer's market or a local hobby farm to get fresh eggs. They may cost a bit more but the hens are happy and not keep in a small cage. My :2cents:

Attachments

• Chickens 001.jpg
    Chickens 001.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Chickens 002.jpg
    Chickens 002.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 118
  • ChickenHouse 009.jpg
    ChickenHouse 009.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 121
  • GenPlug 028.jpg
    GenPlug 028.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 140
  • GenPlug 030.jpg
    GenPlug 030.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 137
   / Eggs & Egg Prices
I wouldn't even know of any place I could buy free range eggs around here, although such may exist. I don't really know how high I'd be willing to go, but I'd definitely pay more for fresh free range eggs. I still remember when my parents had chickens how much darker orange, instead of yellow, the yolks were, and how much stronger the flavor was. Now I can understand people not accustomed to that not liking that stronger flavor, but I did like it. Fortunately, or unfortunately as the case may be, we don't use a lot of eggs because my wife won't eat them except for what she uses in cooking. She may eat a fried egg 3 or 4 times a year, while I enjoy fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast any time.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #7  
Yolk color has a lot to do with the hen's diet.
The consistency of the 'white of a raw egg has a lot to do with how fresh the egg is.
My grandfather told of selling eggs for $1.00/dozen during the Great Depression.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #8  
I get $2 for jumbo and I mean, jumbo brown, organic eggs. $1.50 for the large.

Had no idea eggs had gone up at the market.

/ Eggs & Egg Prices #9  
   / Eggs & Egg Prices
I had not seen that story before. I can understand why some of the "mass production" methods are used since our population needs so much food and since we're all looking for the lowest price. But I couldn't treat animals that way myself, no matter what the cost or profit. If I have to pay more for eggs, I'll either pay it or eat fewer eggs.