Turkey question?

/ Turkey question? #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
How long does it take a 20 pound turkey to thaw out in the fridge?
sherpa

/ Turkey question? #2  
Three to four days, depending on refrigerator temp. Rule of thumb is 24 hours per five pounds.
Mike

/ Turkey question? #4  
Exactly 7 hours longer than the eta of your dinner party~!

/ Turkey question? #5  
Mine is 16 lbs - I'm gonna move it down to fridge today (Sunday) before heading out for the day. About Tuesday check it, if it isn't thawing as fast as you think it should you can start the water baths - fill sink with very cold water and flip it over and change out the water every 45 minutes or so, just don't forget to put back in the fridge after a few hours (left one out overnight many years ago - then had to go find a fresh turkey at the last minute cuz I was afraid of food poisoning 13 other people):laughing: .

/ Turkey question? #7  
I have always thawed them in an ice chest, which opens up more room in the fridge.

Just put it in there with no ice--the frozen turkey is its own ice. Start checking it on day 2 and as it gets closer to thawed, more frequent checks are necessary.

If it thaws too soon, add bag ice.

/ Turkey question? #8  
I'm with CurlyDave-using an ice chest works great and frees up the refrigerator(s).

The ice chest method also works great if you are brining the turkey, which I've had very good compliments from our family. Nothing very fancy, just 3/4 cup of sugar and 6 tablespoons of salt per 4 pounds of turkey, and enough water to cover the turkey. Drain the turkey and season inside and out as you prefer, and cook or smoke which I prefer.

Credit should go to a friend of ours who introduced me to this brine recipe from Cook magazine. Although this was originally intended for a whole chicken, it works great for turkey. I like it because you can marinate/brine while the turkey is thawing.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

GGB

/ Turkey question?
Thanks for the help.
The wife was also excited about the ice chest method.
She also like that salt and sugar deal!
sherpa

/ Turkey question? #10  
Let us know if you use the brine. We've had really good results.

I should mention my all time favorite seasoning for chicken and turkey. It's called Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I'm not sure if it's distributed all through the country, but it's made in Harrisonville, Arkansas. Really works well to coat the inside and outside of the bird. Also works nicely on pheasant and quail. I like this seasoning because it adds a nice flavor, also helps keep the meat moist without overpowering the poultry.

I've also used Cavender's on baby back ribs and pork butt when I ran out of my favorite BBQ dry rub.

I'm making myself hungry! How many days to Thanksgiving???

GGB