Home made Septic Tank

/ Home made Septic Tank #11  
The -just dump it on the ground- thing should work as posted if there weren't some of the popular RV tank chemicals used. Some of those can be nasty and may kill vegetation.
From what I gather many public dump stations have closed for this reason- some of the chemicals added to control smell made it too difficult to process the "stuff".

/ Home made Septic Tank #12  
I had a local guy put in a small septic tank (500 gallon) and then it went into a drywell to disperse the liquids (water). Whole system with installation was under $2,000.

No smells and no down the road problems above ground.

Wayne

/ Home made Septic Tank #13  
most camps around here use a 200 gallon furnace oil tank that has been steamed out.dig a hole big enough to bury the tank and pipes for the field.Just cut two holes in the tank,one at each end.one end goes to the camp ( in your case the station ) the other goes to the field.

/ Home made Septic Tank #14  
I used a 55 gallon plastic drum - ran a number of (4 or 5) 10 ft perforated sections of plastic pipe from holes about 2/3 up the drum. Rented a small backhoe - dug hole - put some crushed stone under and around the pipes and covered with dirt. I think that with your planned usage it would work fine.

Mine was never used as my parents plans changed (they were planning to spend summer in RV on my property) I'll sell it cheap - delivery and installation is lots extra :laughing::confused2:

Good luck,
Loren

/ Home made Septic Tank
Thanks for the information!
Looks like we can do this pretty easy.
The remote property belongs to two of my friends.
The one friend and I are the only people that have RV's and will be using the property.
He wants me to help him install the septic tank.
I will be doing almost all of the installation other than the digging.
Thanks again!

/ Home made Septic Tank #16  
I installed a septic system for my remote camper. It consisted of a 300 gal, ball shaped plastic septic tank that a local plumbing supply house sold and 125 feet of drain line. I had a load of stone delivered and a local guy with a back hoe was hired for the day ($150).

He dug the hole and drainfield trench. Backfilled the trench with about 1' of stone and then we dropped the tank in place and glued up the plastic drain line. Finished backfilling with stone over the drain line and topped with what passes for top soil in our area.

All done in one day for about $1,000.

The tank top has an opening we extended up about 6" so it is just above ground level and we pipe the trailer directly into the top of the tank. During storage season we cap the opening with a plastic pipe cap with several 1/4" holes drilled in it to allow venting. We also place a few cinder blocks around the opening to keep anyone from accidently driving over it.

/ Home made Septic Tank #17  
Something to consider in your risk analysis. Under the Clean Water Act, fecal coliform is a pollutant, and intentionally dumping it on the ground is a "release". Now, I don't know if dumping it on the ground is illegal in all circumstances, or only in certain circumstances. That determination may be fact specific. The state governments also have a hand in permitting septic tanks (i.e., fees).

The problem is, if your dumping is illegal and you get caught and the government requires remediation, the cost of a full blown aeration septic system might very will look cheep in hindsight.

Also if the owner wants to sell the property in the future and an environmental inspection is required, the inspectors will have a heyday with you and the owner if they detect illegal dumping.

/ Home made Septic Tank #18  
Although I do not recommend the "just dump it on the ground", how is once or twice a year going to hurt?

Greasemonkey,
How does the environmental inspector tell the difference from my poop or an animal's poop? If I have goats, chickens, cows, etc in a pen, they will poop in the same place all the time. Is that any different?

A 55gal plastic drum is no different from a 300gal plastic "septic tank", except in size. If they only use is a couple times a year, this should last for a long time. The setup that I was looking at building used two drums, an upper and a lower. The upper caught all of the solids, and the output of it was close to the top and then down to the lower. This allowed water overflow into the lower drum and any solids that might have floated. The lower drum then had the field lines run off of it.

Ha, I just looked back at Curlydave's link, and that is the same one I had looked at.

/ Home made Septic Tank #19  
As a preface to the following, I am not saying it is logical, desirable, or anything else. When you have a pollutant in a container (i.e., the RV), you "own" it, and have to dispose of it according to the regulations. With animal and human waste, as far as I know, if you don't collect it in a container you don't have have the same restrictions. For example, there are restrictions on feedlots and chicken houses, because the waste is moved in bulk.

As to how an inspector would ascertain the difference between human vs chicken, I don't know if they can. What they can ascertain is that there was bulk dumping of a "pollutant".

/ Home made Septic Tank #20  
Local guy I have do backhoe work for me told me how he got a job to bury an old chevy up at some hillbillies place. He did it. They ran a sewer line right into a vent window. Instant septic tank.