Chinese tallow tree for wood stove

/ Chinese tallow tree for wood stove #1  

passgas55

Bronze Member
On the back of my land i have a bunch of tally trees growing. I hate chinese tallow trees. Every year I cut, pull up and will start herbiciding them. It would be nice to have a use for the trees that I cut down besides letting rot in the woods. Any one ever used them in a fireplace or wood stove?

/ Chinese tallow tree for wood stove #2  
No experience with them --they are not a problem in my neck of the woods. I came up with some info after a Google search.

Texas Forest Service

If I am interpreting the material correctly, they are low on usable heat energy. But it might be worth an experiment to see how burning the wood works.

Sorry that I am of no more help.

Steve

/ Chinese tallow tree for wood stove #3  
Pound for pound of dry wood, the Chinese tallow tree will give off the nearly the same energy (btu/lb) as confirmed by the Texas Forest Service link from smstonypoint.

The Chinese tallow has a lower Specific Gravity than woods like oak, so would just mean more volume (roughly a third more) of tallow wood needed to get the same energy.

But should burn just fine in either fireplace or wood stove.

/ Chinese tallow tree for wood stove
These trees are 4 to 8 inches growing straight up with little branch off till the very top. Cutting should be easiy and should only have to be split once. I think for next yeat I will build a tower next to my pond of these trees and burn them at Chrismas time to light the way for St Nick.
Any oak that falls will be used for cooking only.

/ Chinese tallow tree for wood stove
Gee you think that article is bashing Bush? I do agree that we should not be using corn for a fuel source. The seeds do pop when you burn them.