Would like your opinions on new small farming operation.

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #1  

stravis

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 John Deere 5101E Limited
My wife and I have entertained it for several years. We've dreamed about doing....well something with our land on the side. What, well we haven't decided. We've talked about it more and more as of late. It's not to make a living, as we both have good jobs now, but more because we love the land. We love working with the animals we have. We love working the land, love tractor work, love labor. We love everything about this place.

Here's the problem. I know tractors and machinery at an intermediate level. We know horses well, we have several. We know very little about farming and know nothing of which direction to head in.

This is where you all come in. We'd like to get your opinions of what type of operation to start. I'll begin with telling you all what parameters we're working around and I'd like to get your ideas.

Where to start? I'm a construction Project Manager. My wife owns a bookkeeping service and operates from home. We're not looking for something to replace our current occupations, at least not right away if ever. We also are not looking for a "hobby" that costs a ton and there is no return. Ideally this operation would yield some "extra" money for us. How much? I'm not too concerned with it, as long as we make more than we spend and enjoy it. I'd like to take on a new challenge and see how well we can do it. I have evenings and weekends. My wife can do a lot during the week as well. I also have about 5 weeks paid vacation each year that I'm willing to use for this. We are NOT afraid of work.

What we have:
The property: We have 110 acres in middle Georgia. Of the 110, about 27 is open and of that about 17 or 18 is workable. The remainder is wooded. I'm not above clearing some of the land if necessary, but wouldn't want to do that right off. I'd rather start with what we've got and expand if necessary. The land is relatively flat. We've got natural streams through the timber and a pond on one end of the property. We have two wells spaced about 1000' apart. Right now, about 4 acres is fenced where we keep our three horses. We have a 30'x30' shop with a concrete floor, electrical and plumbing.

The equipment: I have a 2009 John Deere 5101E with a 553 loader as well as a 1974 Ford 3000. I have minimal implements and I know that no matter which direction we go, I'll have to spend some money in this department. My implement list is as follows, a 5' Fred Cain agricutter, a JD 25A flail mower, a 6' wide disc harrow, a 5' King Kutter box blade and a middle buster. I also have a hay spear for the loader. That's about all I can think of.

Our desires: We're really a blank canvas. There are a few parameters though. Whatever we do, we'd prefer it to be organic. Not necessarily certified organic, but more on principle. We'd like to do what we do with the least negative impact as possible. Some may be required, but if I can work around it, I will. Even if it means less yield. We're open to both farming as well as ranching, however my wife becomes quickly attached to critters. So cattle is likely out as she would struggle with selling them to the beef market. Other animals that would be sold for other than consumption will work, though. The obvious other parameter is cost. I'm aware this will cost money to start up, and I'm not above going to my farm credit folks (who I already have a relationship with) and getting a start up loan, but I'm not looking to spend $100,000 either. We'd like to not have all our eggs in one basket. In other words, we'd like to do a combination of things that work together.

That's really it. Other than those things, we're a blank canvas.

I intend to get a coop agent to come meet with me and get their direction also. What direction would you recommend? What would it take to get started?

Please feel free to ask any questions that might help. If it would be useful, I can post a Google image of the property with the workable fields, wells, fencing, etc. labeled.

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation.
I'm putting this in another post to separate it from the rest as I don't want it to mold anyone's opinion. We truly are open to all suggestions, but these are some of the things we've tossed around:

Vegetable farming: This seems to require a lot of knowledge that we don't have. We're willing to learn it, though.

Alpacas/sheep: At first glance, this seems to be one of the easier to get into. We have the land, we'd have to fence in some more and do some construction that I could handle myself. I could grow and bale hay in some of the other pastures. Downside is the cost of the animals themselves. I understand that they are quite expensive, but we can work around that. As for knowledge, there would be some things to learn, but we are already quite well versed in animal care. (we have several now and we used to run a 25+ animal Tennessee Walking Horse show and breeding operation).

Milk cows, chickens, etc: Sounds great, but from what I understand it is fairly strictly regulated. Might be more headache than it's worth. We also would have to find a market for them.

One more separate post.

Thank all of you in advance for your replies. We genuinely appreciate your opinions and ideas.

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #4  
Hay: Can be done around your time constraints as long as the wether cooperates
Beef cattle: Can eat your hay and if you get a mamma, she has a calf and you (at the same time) pick up a 2nd calf, you can raise two calves for fairly cheap.

Decent market out there for grass fed and/or organic beef.

Aaron Z

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #5  
What's your labor pool like? Any teenagers to help you (your own or neighbors)?

Haying is intense work a bit of fun, and could provide a source of income immediately next July. It doesn't take a lot of investment since you already have the tractor.

I'd first hire an accountant to guide your farm business. Mine knows the process. Then start looking at used hay equipment to produce square bales. Brand should depend on what ag dealers are nearby. They provide parts and service if necessary. Selling excess hay is good for the balance sheet.

What's your horse boarding climate like? Getting 1 or 2 boarders pays for a lot of 'stuff'. It depends on whether you can tolerate non-family on the property.

Meanwhile you'll need a post digger, wire, posts, maybe a backup generator, air compressor, welder and a dog or two. Golf cart for Mom to ride around in when doing chores and a 4 wheeler of side by side for you to do daily property inspections.

That's how my place works. (might need a bass boat, though too).

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #6  
Big vegetable garden (1-2 acres)
Haying on 10 acres (oats, etc). That's what I do on my 10-acre parcel. I have about $5K invested in used haying equipment (grain drill, sicklebar mowers, rake, baler).
Pasture on 5 acres.

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #7  
Another option,seeing you are in Ga.,how about gamebirds,bobwhites are native to your area,pheasant.Are there local clubs in the area?.I raise 1500 pheasant,a few chukar but we are too far north to have much success with bob-whites.

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #8  
Labor will be the issue.
I'm thinking hay or beef. Maybe dairy replacements.
Pumpkins would work if not much local competition. U-pick is nice if you have insurance. Need planter, big sprayer for disease and fertilizer. Maybe irregation.
How about nursery products like trees and bushes? Need tree spade and trailer.
You could actually make money on the above,

/ Would like your opinions on new small farming operation. #9  
Vegetable gardening is pretty labor intense and when it's ready, it's ready. I believe there are some guys on here that grow for farmer's markets so they could probably give some input there.

Horse boarding, as already suggested, might work out well. You already have/know about horses and plenty of land so that sounds like a potential good fit.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

We've thought about hay. I think that is definitely something we're going to do at least in part.

Quail isn't something I've thought about. Great idea. Quail plantations are everywhere down here and I've hunted several. I'll ask around and see what the market is like.

We're definitely looking into vegetable gardens too, but are worried about finding a market for them.

Boarding is out as my wife and I have boarded our horses before with others and I really don't want all that traffic at my place. Thanks for the idea, though.

As much as I'd like to run beef cattle, my wife would have trouble with that. She's the type to get attached and would have a hard time selling for consumption. Although I don't have those issues, I respect that my wife does and I'll avoid it. It's a great idea, though.

As for the labor market, I have a neighbor or two that I'm sure would help. My father in law used to farm pecans and he'd be ecstatic to help. He loves this stuff.

Thanks for the input, guys. Keep it coming!