Knee replacement

/ Knee replacement #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
Wasn't sure but maybe this belonged under Customization :)

Tentatively scheduled for 4th of Jan for a partial knee replacement in Honolulu. It will be the British model- has a bearing, but I don't know about a zerk LOL

Any comments and words of wisdom from those who have gone before me appreciated

Merry Christmas

/ Knee replacement #2  
I'm not sure just how much a "partial" knee replacement is, but I had complete one done on Aug. 30. You may not want to read all of the Bad Knees thread, but of course some of our other members have had it done, too. Just work at the physical therapy and it ought to be OK.

/ Knee replacement #3  
Bird would certainly know. And when he tells you to follow the PT. Scare tissue can also be major problem and usually happens to people that do not stick with the physical therapy program.

/ Knee replacement
WOW I read the whole thread - very informative. Seems I fit the profile: over 60, overweight, right knee worst than left....

Bird, sure sounds like you are doing super. A role model and inspiration.

A partial knee replacement is supposed to be less intrusive, 3" incision and quicker recovery. My ortho uses a British design and claims in right patient as effective as a total.

I fly to Honolulu Monday, 3 Jan. Operation is Tues and I fly back Thur the 6th. The flying back part has me most concerned even though I know it's done all the time.

The hardest part may be the inactivity of my "to-do" list. Maybe once I'm recovered I can get back to being more productive.

/ Knee replacement #5  
Given the lack of leg room on todays airlines, the flight back would be my concern too. Maybe you can make special arrangements, in advance, for a first class, or bulkhead seat that will be suitable. You certainly wouldn't want the person in front of you to recline their seatback right into your knee, which seems to be a common occurrence now.

/ Knee replacement #6  
WOW I read the whole thread - very informative. Seems I fit the profile: over 60, overweight, right knee worst than left....

Bird, sure sounds like you are doing super. A role model and inspiration.

A partial knee replacement is supposed to be less intrusive, 3" incision and quicker recovery. My ortho uses a British design and claims in right patient as effective as a total.

I fly to Honolulu Monday, 3 Jan. Operation is Tues and I fly back Thur the 6th. The flying back part has me most concerned even though I know it's done all the time.

The hardest part may be the inactivity of my "to-do" list. Maybe once I'm recovered I can get back to being more productive.

David, I went in on a Monday morning for the surgery that morning and went home Thursday very shortly after noon. I don't know how much different your surgery will be, but I've got a 5" incision scar. And I could bend the knee 90 degrees right away after surgery. I only had a 10 mile car ride home from the hospital, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the flight. Are you going to have a physical therapist come to your home for awhile? I had a good physical therapist come to the house the first two weeks, then I went to outpatient physical therapy 3 days a week.

/ Knee replacement #7  
I had a total knee replacement done on June 8 this year due to an accident 10 years ago. After 2 scopes in the past 5 years the last one being two years ago they finally decided it had to be replaced.

I just went back to work last week even tho I could have gone two months ago. It was done thru comp so I had to do what they told me. As for a plane flight be sure you can, flying after surgery is not recommended, blood clots from inaction as well as the reduced pressure. I was supposd to have mine done out of province, fly up and train back was what they told me.

In hospital two days, couldn't sleep well for at least two weeks after due to waking myself up by moving the knee. The drugs gave me some real funky dreams so I had to do without and rely on acetomeniphen (sp). Use a pillow between the knees when you sleep it'll keep them at the right angle, I found the bad knee 'hanging' down hurt the worst.

Be sure to follow the physio, when I started (1 week after surgery) I couldn't even make a full revolution with the pedals on an exercise bike. Ice works for swelling and there'll be lots of it. Even after you're done therapy keep up with the flexing exercises or it'll stiffen up again.

It was my left knee so I could drive a limited distance, 20K, after the first week but any more than that the inactivity while driving would cause throbbing......Mike

/ Knee replacement
Given the lack of leg room on todays airlines, the flight back would be my concern too. Maybe you can make special arrangements, in advance, for a first class, or bulkhead seat that will be suitable. You certainly wouldn't want the person in front of you to recline their seatback right into your knee, which seems to be a common occurrence now.

When I checkin for my flight over, I hope I can get assigned a bulkhead for my return flight. As this is a fairly common occurrence, I don't anticipate any problem. Of course, given how they do things these days, there'll probably be a $100 upcharge. :mad:

David, I went in on a Monday morning for the surgery that morning and went home Thursday very shortly after noon. I don't know how much different your surgery will be, but I've got a 5" incision scar. And I could bend the knee 90 degrees right away after surgery. I only had a 10 mile car ride home from the hospital, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the flight. Are you going to have a physical therapist come to your home for awhile? I had a good physical therapist come to the house the first two weeks, then I went to outpatient physical therapy 3 days a week.

I was quite impressed with your rehab/recovery. I can only hope to do as well.
The flight is less than an an hour and my wife will pick me up at airport, so as long as I get a decent seat, should be OK. We are 20+ miles from town, so I really hope I can get at home therapy to start. I know when my wife was doing chemo it took quite a chunk out of the day. As you still doing the recumbent bike? We have a Bowflex treadclimber which I'm hoping is appropriate and helpful early on. I had to quit using it a few months ago once knee became too painful and untrustworthy.

I had a total knee replacement done on June 8 this year due to an accident 10 years ago. After 2 scopes in the past 5 years the last one being two years ago they finally decided it had to be replaced.

I just went back to work last week even tho I could have gone two months ago. It was done thru comp so I had to do what they told me. As for a plane flight be sure you can, flying after surgery is not recommended, blood clots from inaction as well as the reduced pressure. I was supposd to have mine done out of province, fly up and train back was what they told me.

In hospital two days, couldn't sleep well for at least two weeks after due to waking myself up by moving the knee. The drugs gave me some real funky dreams so I had to do without and rely on acetomeniphen (sp). Use a pillow between the knees when you sleep it'll keep them at the right angle, I found the bad knee 'hanging' down hurt the worst.

Be sure to follow the physio, when I started (1 week after surgery) I couldn't even make a full revolution with the pedals on an exercise bike. Ice works for swelling and there'll be lots of it. Even after you're done therapy keep up with the flexing exercises or it'll stiffen up again.

It was my left knee so I could drive a limited distance, 20K, after the first week but any more than that the inactivity while driving would cause throbbing......Mike

I scheduled my flights according to info from the nurse, so hopefully it will be OK. Flying to and from Honolulu for major surgery is a fact of life here. I had hoped to have it done at a local hospital, but couldn't get scheduled until March, but I'm passed the point of tolerance. I'm quite appreciative of PT given my wife was disabled in a headon in '98. Crushed pelvis and all 4 extremities mangled in various degrees, she spent 5 months in the hospital and years of PT. I cannot envision her letting me slide on PT :laughing: I already have scripts for 10-325 hydrocodone/APAP. I don'texpect to be driving for a couple weeks, except the tractor to keep up the mowing :thumbsup:

/ Knee replacement #9  
Are you scheduled at Queens?

I know people come from distant lands to have surgery there... you should be in good hands.

The biggest problem we see is people not following Doctor's orders... either not doing enough or many trying to do too much...

/ Knee replacement
Are you scheduled at Queens?

I know people come from distant lands to have surgery there... you should be in good hands.

The biggest problem we see is people not following Doctor's orders... either not doing enough or many trying to do too much...

Nope, Kuakini, not too far from Queens. I believe my ortho, Dr Owens, is associated with both. Here on Big Island, he operates at North Hawaii in Waimea.

My wife had her cancer surgery at Queens, awesome hospital.