Non-Stick Fry Pans

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
We've had some teflon coated aluminum skillets or fry pans for many years and they were getting in bad shape, so this month we threw them away and did some experimenting. I thought the best way to go was stainless steel. In fact, we have a set of stainless steel that's pretty good, but I tried a couple of newer ones and they were terrible as far as food sticking. If I fried bacon or sausage in one, I could not then fry an egg because the egg would stick and couldn't be turned without tearing it up. And it made no difference if I used generic PAM or not.

So without any great expectations, I decided to try one of the Bakers & Chefs fry pans from Sam's Club. I don't know just what that coating is, but it sure beats teflon. After a couple of tries, I went back and bought 2 more sizes of the same pans. They've got to be the best "non-stick" pans I've ever seen. And there's no need to use PAM before cooking bacon, sausage, etc.

These pans have a couple of other good points: (1) made and assembled in the USA - (although the handles are made in China), and (2) my favorite breakfast sausage is Pernell's Old Folks Medium Sausage Patties and in our other skillets, a splatter shield was necessary to prevent grease from splattering everywhere. With these pans, I don't need a splatter shield even though I don't understand what makes the difference.

Now you may know of cookware as good or better, and I don't own any stock in the companies mentioned in this post, so I'm sure not trying to sell their products:laughing:, but thought it might help if you've had the same complaints I've had with some fry pans.

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #2  
Hot Pan, Cold Oil/Fat keeps the food from sticking. :thumbsup:

The ONLY non stick pan we have my mom just bought a few days ago and left here when they went back home. :laughing: She had been making pan cakes and she did not like my cast iron skillet. :D She said it was sticking but I make pan cakes all of the time and they do not stick. :p

The other pans are Stainless steel. Hot Pan Cold Oil/Fat works just fine. Even scrambled eggs. For eggs I do use lots of butter to keep the eggs from sticking AND tastes so good. :laughing:

We got 6-7 inches of snow on 12/26. We are about out of eggs so yesterday I went to the grocery store to get milk, bread, and eggs. Of course $60+ later I had bought more than milk and bread. Even though the roads were clear the store had NO eggs. None. I was actually looking at the egg stuff in cartons. :confused2::laughing:

Course we have been eating SOOOOOO much I wake up in the morning and I am not hungry so I have not been eating much for breakfast so the eggs can wait. But on these cold morning a big helping of steaming grits, loaded up with salt, pepper and melted butter topped with 3-4 fried eggs will get you warm and going for the day. :thumbsup:

Later,
Dan

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans
Hot Pan, Cold Oil/Fat keeps the food from sticking.

Dan, I'd forgotten about hearing that in the past. Of course we now have one of the glass (or ceramic) topped cookstoves some we don't use cast iron on it. I do like my cornbread cooked in cast iron, and blackened fish cooked outside in cast iron.

My wife wants a banana every morning for breakfast, so I went to Walmart about 7:30 a.m. the day after Christmas. Bananas had been $.39 a pound but for the week before Chistmas went up to $.47 a pound. However, the day after Christmas they did not have a single banana except for the 6 banana packages of "organic" bananas at $.86 a pound. I haven't tried them myself, but my wife says they're "just bananas". And yesterday, the regular ones were back down to $.39 a pound.

And the day after Christmas, there was not a single egg in the display, but just as I got there, a young lady (stocker) came out with a big cart full of cases of eggs, so I got a dozen eggs alright.

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #5  
Bird you have to learn to fry scrapple after that every thing is easy:laughing:

Again HOT pan is the key don't throw in the scrapple and turn the burner on t will mush.

tom

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #6  
We have had two glass topped stoves in two houses and have used cast iron with no problems. The cookware I worried about was our pressure cooker. Best I could tell the stove manual was worried about heavy pots on the stove that overlapped the burners too much and/or where too close to the edge of the cook top. So far so good. :eek::D

My oldest kid used to watch Jon and Kate plus 8. Thankfully it is USED too. :D:D:D:D On one of the shows Kate was cooking on a glass topped stove. She took a hot lid off of a pot and put it down on the glass top. Eventually the glass top shattered! :eek: My guess was that the steam/water in the lid formed a seal and when the air inside the lid cooled it formed a vacuum which caused the glass to shatter. :(

Regarding Scrapple. Is that a PA food? I have an uncle from PA who eats that stuff. He had it one year at Christmas and I tried it. Not sure how he got it in FLA since I had never seen it before.

Later,
Dan

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #7  
Non stick cookware is getting better, lots of TV adds. But which is the best? The bakers & chefs may be a form of Stone ware coating.

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans
Robert, I've never fried bananas; not sure I want to.:D

And Tom, I've read about scrapple in the past, but have never seen it.

Dan, I haven't had any pots or lids break the glass top of the stove, but I did learn that dropping a Pyrex measuring cup on it will break; expensive lesson, too.:eek:

I used to be rather fond of calf brains and scrambled eggs, but haven't seen any calf brains in the grocery store since the mad cow scare. And my wife was opposed to me even bringing it into the house.:laughing:

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #10  
Robert, I've never fried bananas; not sure I want to.:D

And Tom, I've read about scrapple in the past, but have never seen it.

Dan, I haven't had any pots or lids break the glass top of the stove, but I did learn that dropping a Pyrex measuring cup on it will break; expensive lesson, too.:eek:

I used to be rather fond of calf brains and scrambled eggs, but haven't seen any calf brains in the grocery store since the mad cow scare. And my wife was opposed to me even bringing it into the house.:laughing:

I THINK Scrapple has a bunch of left over animal parts ground up in the "product."

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I had to look it up. Scrapple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It is everything but the oink blended with a cornmeal and flour. :D:D:D It is a Mid Atlantic state "delicacy." :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sounds like Scrapple might be a way to sneak calf brains in the house. :D Fried bananas are good. Scrapple was tolerable when smothered in syrup. Calf brains and eggs I will skip. :laughing: Though I have heard tree rat brains and eggs are good. I will skip that too unless I am starving. :laughing:

Later,
Dan