Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace?

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #1  

shortlid

Silver Member
I need a inexpensive gas generator to run just a forced hot water propane fired boiler and a 200 ft down submersiable well pump. Would a 3000 watt work?:confused:

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #2  
I need a inexpensive gas generator to run just a forced hot water propane fired boiler and a 200 ft down submersible well pump. Would a 3000 watt work?:confused:

I'd go a touch larger to be sure - like 5000 watts. Price difference is less than replacing a pump because it tried to draw more power on startup than was available.
Mike

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace?
True VERY true last pump was $900 to replace!!

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #4  
I agree, at least a 5KW generator. I assume the well pump is 220V but even a 110V at 200' deep will draw some amperage. The furnace should be no problem. I ran my whole house on a 5KW (6250 surge) generator including a 220V well pump, fridge, freezer, lights etc. The lights dim when the pump comes on but it runs it. The 5KW wouldn't run my whole house while using 2 window A/C units. I sold mine and bought a 10KW welder / generator so I can have A/C should the power goes out in summer.

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #5  
Is there any way you can amp the pump while it is running? My well runs at about 2000 watt, a little more than 8 amps per leg. Refregerator draws about 8 amps, 1000watts, my washing machine about 1200 watts, dryer about 800watts, sewer about 150 watts and my window ac that I only install for long power outages about 1000watts. I forgot the wifes hair dryer 1200 watts, microwave 1000 watts, lights etc. It starts to add up quick if you want to wash clothes which means your water pump will be running too. I know all these things cycle but its best to have a 6kw gen for a constant 3 kw load.If you are over sized you will burn more fuel. If you are undersized you will save a lot on fuel because you won't be running. To tell you the truth if you are running close to max you do burn a lot of fuel and short life on the generator. My house in the swamp I got by 10 days with a 4kw gen. No water well which helped. Was a load on it to wash and dry clothes at the same time. you will know your load when you run the microwave.

My home in the country high and dry ground I first started out with a 6.2 kw and this month I installed a 12 kw standby gen with a 200amp double pole, double throw manual switch. It runs on propane so I do not have to worry about gummed up carbs and I keep about 300 gallons of propane all the time.
I do not plan on running any gen more than 8 hrs a day. Burns about 1.1 gallons a hour at 1/2 load.

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #6  
I would not suggest the inexpensive if you want to have the generator for many years. If you buy a 5KW continous with a quality surge 6.2KW rating then when things cut in it does not suck the heart out of the generator.Do not go too big or you will need a fuel tanker parked out side to run it. As in everything the choice is available fuel types gas ,diesel, propane. Electric start or manual depending on your physical condition. A somewhat simple rule is the heavier the better because there must be something under the tin cover.
Craig Clayton

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #7  
The cost of putting gas in a generator adds up if you run it for hours at the time to keep your heating system going.

You might find a good used generator from a builder who needs $.

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace?
I am looking to save on the gen. so I can get a used wood stove and not have to run the furnace all the time. Really just NEED a gen to run the well pump. Got oil lamps for light, and a gas range and oven in the house.

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #9  
I am looking to save on the gen. so I can get a used wood stove and not have to run the furnace all the time. Really just NEED a gen to run the well pump. Got oil lamps for light, and a gas range and oven in the house.

Running lights is almost nothing compared to the well. Of course if you can run the well and then cut off the generator this will save a lot of fuel.

/ Size portable generator to run well pump and gas FHW furnace? #10  
The running current on well inst an issue the start current is what you have to contend with it can be 3X the running current

So the start current is what you have to size the gen for so before you even thingk about one you need to do some digging for the start current, of the well an amprobe with peak hold would tell you aklot.

tom