Property Pin and Fences

/ Property Pin and Fences #1  

UpToNoGood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2025
I want to install a metal pipe fence around my 40 acres. The pipe will only be used for the corners and T-post and barbed wire in between.

So how do I dig a hole and set my pipe if there is a survey pin in the corner? I know the pin must be left alone. I am guessing I will have to set the pipe on my side of the pin. None of my current neighbors have any fence up.

/ Property Pin and Fences #2  
Don't know if it is correct... my Grandfather ran his fences down the line stopping 3' short of the corners to make a 45 and avoid the pin... also made the corners stronger.

His neighbors ran there fences 5 feet back for access and someone would always mistake the fences as the property line..

My Grandfather didn't want that to happen.

/ Property Pin and Fences #3  
I want to install a metal pipe fence around my 40 acres. The pipe will only be used for the corners and T-post and barbed wire in between.

So how do I dig a hole and set my pipe if there is a survey pin in the corner? I know the pin must be left alone. I am guessing I will have to set the pipe on my side of the pin. None of my current neighbors have any fence up.
How big is your pie?
I wouldn't dig a hole as you will disturb the soil and the pipe would be more apt to lean.
open the hole as much as you a with a 5 foot pry bar.finish setting the post with a sledghammer.

I don't remember the term, but you can get or make a short piece of pipe to slide over the top of than your post, with a plate of 1/2 inch steel welded on top . This will keep the post from swagging. Maybe put a couple of supports at 45' to the ground in the directions of the fence.

/ Property Pin and Fences #4  
We have some surveyors here. Dodgeman for one.
Might shoot him a private message and ask for his guidance. Couldn't hurt.

/ Property Pin and Fences #5  
put the fence as close to the line as you can...
heehaw

/ Property Pin and Fences #6  
Don't know if it is correct... my Grandfather ran his fences down the line stopping 3' short of the corners to make a 45 and avoid the pin... also made the corners stronger.

His neighbors ran there fences 5 feet back for access and someone would always mistake the fences as the property line..

My Grandfather didn't want that to happen.

I really like that method.

All too often a fence inside a property line is mistaken as the line and if this situation is left fallow for too long, your property line has shifted.

/ Property Pin and Fences #7  
Do you know for certain that the pin is actually the corner of the property? I believe in most cases that it is, but in some cases they may not be. On our property, the fence has been there forever (not really, but longer than anyone alive can remember). The pins that are in the "corners" of our property are not the actual corners of the property. The corner is only a few feet from them, but since the posts were already there, we couldn't set the pins in the corner (so it's kind of the opposite of your problem).

If it were mine, I would either set the corner posts inboard of the pin by a foot or use the "stop short and 45" method that somebody mentioned earlier. That's a pretty good idea.

Good luck and take care.

/ Property Pin and Fences #8  
put THE CORNER ON A 45 THAT WILL GIVE YOU A STRONG CORNER AN AS SAID ABOVE.
Army Grunt

/ Property Pin and Fences
Yes the Pins are the property line for sure. It was originally a square mile that was divided up in to 24 pieces and mine is 40 acres. One surveyor did the whole place a few years back when it was divided and nothing has changed.

My piece is a triangle with a county road on one side. State property on another side, and my uncle and some other person on the third side.

I am only wanting to fence the road side and the other side between the other guy that is a less than a good neighbor.

The piece where the 3 of our land meets will be easy I can just straddle the pin with the pipe. The other two corners along the road is where I will have to move it a bit. I figure I can plant a 45 corner with the corner on the county road side just inside the pin to my side. And the other two ends of the 45 will land on the line and be on the line from there on out.

Attachments

• Datil Map.jpg
    Datil Map.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 436
   / Property Pin and Fences #10  
Do you know for certain that the pin is actually the corner of the property? I believe in most cases that it is, but in some cases they may not be. On our property, the fence has been there forever (not really, but longer than anyone alive can remember). The pins that are in the "corners" of our property are not the actual corners of the property. The corner is only a few feet from them, but since the posts were already there, we couldn't set the pins in the corner (so it's kind of the opposite of your problem).

If it were mine, I would either set the corner posts inboard of the pin by a foot or use the "stop short and 45" method that somebody mentioned earlier. That's a pretty good idea.

Good luck and take care.

Good advice. On our property, due to terrain and other issues, some of our pins are offsets and not the actual property line. The pins are merely reference points. The actual property line is x number of feet/inches away fron the pin. We have a creek that runs between two properties. In that case the pin is inside my property, however the property line is x number of feet away from the pin... down the center of the creek. (Of course the creek over time can change, however the line will not. We just "say" down the center of the creek for ease of discussion.)