Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Property Pin and Fences

I want to install a metal pipe fence around my 40 acres. The pipe will only be used for the corners and T-post and barbed wire in between.

So how do I dig a hole and set my pipe if there is a survey pin in the corner? I know the pin must be left alone. I am guessing I will have to set the pipe on my side of the pin. None of my current neighbors have any fence up.

Super Star Member
    SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Default Re: Property Pin and Fences

Don't know if it is correct... my Grandfather ran his fences down the line stopping 3' short of the corners to make a 45 and avoid the pin... also made the corners stronger.

His neighbors ran there fences 5 feet back for access and someone would always mistake the fences as the property line..

My Grandfather didn't want that to happen.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by UpToNoGood View Post
    I want to install a metal pipe fence around my 40 acres. The pipe will only be used for the corners and T-post and barbed wire in between.

So how do I dig a hole and set my pipe if there is a survey pin in the corner? I know the pin must be left alone. I am guessing I will have to set the pipe on my side of the pin. None of my current neighbors have any fence up.
    How big is your pie?
    I wouldn't dig a hole as you will disturb the soil and the pipe would be more apt to lean.
    open the hole as much as you a with a 5 foot pry bar.finish setting the post with a sledghammer.

I don't remember the term, but you can get or make a short piece of pipe to slide over the top of than your post, with a plate of 1/2 inch steel welded on top . This will keep the post from swagging. Maybe put a couple of supports at 45' to the ground in the directions of the fence.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

We have some surveyors here. Dodgeman for one.
    Might shoot him a private message and ask for his guidance. Couldn't hurt.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV

put the fence as close to the line as you can...
    heehaw

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
    Don't know if it is correct... my Grandfather ran his fences down the line stopping 3' short of the corners to make a 45 and avoid the pin... also made the corners stronger.

His neighbors ran there fences 5 feet back for access and someone would always mistake the fences as the property line..

My Grandfather didn't want that to happen.
    I really like that method.

All too often a fence inside a property line is mistaken as the line and if this situation is left fallow for too long, your property line has shifted.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Veteran Member

Do you know for certain that the pin is actually the corner of the property? I believe in most cases that it is, but in some cases they may not be. On our property, the fence has been there forever (not really, but longer than anyone alive can remember). The pins that are in the "corners" of our property are not the actual corners of the property. The corner is only a few feet from them, but since the posts were already there, we couldn't set the pins in the corner (so it's kind of the opposite of your problem).

If it were mine, I would either set the corner posts inboard of the pin by a foot or use the "stop short and 45" method that somebody mentioned earlier. That's a pretty good idea.

Good luck and take care.

Tractor
    TC 30 Newholland

put THE CORNER ON A 45 THAT WILL GIVE YOU A STRONG CORNER AN AS SAID ABOVE.
    Army Grunt
    "Be who you are, say what you will, those that matter wont mind, those that mind don't matter".

Bronze Member

Yes the Pins are the property line for sure. It was originally a square mile that was divided up in to 24 pieces and mine is 40 acres. One surveyor did the whole place a few years back when it was divided and nothing has changed.

My piece is a triangle with a county road on one side. State property on another side, and my uncle and some other person on the third side.

I am only wanting to fence the road side and the other side between the other guy that is a less than a good neighbor.

The piece where the 3 of our land meets will be easy I can just straddle the pin with the pipe. The other two corners along the road is where I will have to move it a bit. I figure I can plant a 45 corner with the corner on the county road side just inside the pin to my side. And the other two ends of the 45 will land on the line and be on the line from there on out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Property Pin and Fences-datil-map-jpg  
    40 acres in New Mexico

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD-12 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rtimgray View Post
    Do you know for certain that the pin is actually the corner of the property? I believe in most cases that it is, but in some cases they may not be. On our property, the fence has been there forever (not really, but longer than anyone alive can remember). The pins that are in the "corners" of our property are not the actual corners of the property. The corner is only a few feet from them, but since the posts were already there, we couldn't set the pins in the corner (so it's kind of the opposite of your problem).

If it were mine, I would either set the corner posts inboard of the pin by a foot or use the "stop short and 45" method that somebody mentioned earlier. That's a pretty good idea.

Good luck and take care.
    Good advice. On our property, due to terrain and other issues, some of our pins are offsets and not the actual property line. The pins are merely reference points. The actual property line is x number of feet/inches away fron the pin. We have a creek that runs between two properties. In that case the pin is inside my property, however the property line is x number of feet away from the pin... down the center of the creek. (Of course the creek over time can change, however the line will not. We just "say" down the center of the creek for ease of discussion.)
    M8540HD12-1, R4s, Weights, 2 Remotes, Rear Lights, Down Exhaust
    LA1353 FEL, QA 72" Bucket, Self Leveling Valve, 3rd Function Remote
    CCM Category II Hydraulic Toplink
    QA 48" Pallet Forks
    M8180 Ballast Box with concrete
    LP QH-20 Quick Hitch
    LP RCR2672 6' Rotary Cutter
    LP GS2596 8' Grading Scraper
    BAC BG-10 Post/Tree Puller

BX2370RV60-1, R4s, 60" Mower, Loader Valve
    BX2763A Snow Blade
    LP QH05 Quick Hitch