Hickory Tree

/ Hickory Tree #1  

TonyF

Silver Member
Tractor
BX200D w/FEL, B21 TLB, KX91-3SS. F700 Dump Truck
I realize hickory is strong wood, but what about the tree itself? We would like to save one hickory, which in truth is probably one of the nicest trees on our property. But in order to save it the house has to be positioned even or just under the drip line. Wind? Hickory nuts?

The sweet gums next to it are coming down.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1160001.JPG
    P1160001.JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 634
   / Hickory Tree #2  
In a good year it will produce nuts/hulls by the bushel. That's not to say I don't like Hickory trees.

/ Hickory Tree #3  
I love hickory trees and the nuts too. The trees have a deep tap root and are very slow growing. If you leave it and it ends up dying from the stress of construction, it looks pretty easy to cut down. I am like you and I'd try and leave it if I could.

/ Hickory Tree #4  
I love hickory trees and the nuts too. The trees have a deep tap root and are very slow growing. If you leave it and it ends up dying from the stress of construction, it looks pretty easy to cut down. I am like you and I'd try and leave it if I could.

I agree about the tap root, but i have my doubts about it surviving construction if the house is going to be that close to the drip line. I like hickory trees too; but leaves/nuts in the gutter, limbs falling on the roof, the trouble of taking it down after construction, etc. would sway me toward taking it down before construction.

Steve

/ Hickory Tree #5  
Steve is probably right but I just hate losing old slow-growing trees. :(

It's a tough call. Will the excavator have to travel below the drip line of the tree? How far from the trunk will the house be in feet? Will the grade be changed?

All these thinks are death for mature trees most of the time.

/ Hickory Tree #6  
Steve is probably right but I just hate losing old slow-growing trees. :(

It's a tough call. Will the excavator have to travel below the drip line of the tree? How far from the trunk will the house be in feet? Will the grade be changed?

All these thinks are death for mature trees most of the time.
Hickory trees may be slow growing in Canada, but in the deep south, they grow like weeds and, in fact, are considered to be weed trees.

I would whack that tree and not look back. If you want a hickory tree, you can plant another one in a safe location. It will be just as large in a few years, especially if you allow only one trunk to grow.

/ Hickory Tree #7  
Hickory trees may be slow growing in Canada, but in the deep south, they grow like weeds and, in fact, are considered to be weed trees.

I would whack that tree and not look back. If you want a hickory tree, you can plant another one in a safe location. It will be just as large in a few years, especially if you allow only one trunk to grow.

Good advice. Trees grow, hardwoods drop their leaves every fall; and whether your roof is asphalt or steel, there's nothing worse for it than having acidic hardwood leaves laying on top of it.

/ Hickory Tree #8  
In Ohio Shagbark hickories are also called Indiana bat trees. Indiana bats are an endangered species. There is a bill pending in Ohio that would make it illegal to cut down a Shagbark hickory on your property. Nothing can be done with and/ or around a Shagbark hickory. If you want to build a pole barn and there is Shagbark hickory where you want to build that's just tough luck. Needless to say every one in Ohio are sawing down the Shagbark hickory trees as fast as they can before this bill passes. Our government at work.

/ Hickory Tree
Thanks everyone. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. The area has been cleared and rough graded with the exception of some fine tuning around the edges - so most of the heavy work is done.

The house will be located about 20-25 feet from the trunk. my wife is pretty adamant about saving it. We've rearranged our plans by shifting the house to accommodate it.

/ Hickory Tree #10  
In Ohio Shagbark hickories are also called Indiana bat trees. Indiana bats are an endangered species. There is a bill pending in Ohio that would make it illegal to cut down a Shagbark hickory on your property. Nothing can be done with and/ or around a Shagbark hickory. If you want to build a pole barn and there is Shagbark hickory where you want to build that's just tough luck. Needless to say every one in Ohio are sawing down the Shagbark hickory trees as fast as they can before this bill passes. Our government at work.

Similar issues concerning property rights and endangered species cropped up in the case of red-cockaded woodpeckers here in the Southeast. If memory serves, landowners were harvesting southern pines (especially long-leaf) early in anticipation of regulatory actions.

Steve