Think its time to sell the cows

/ Think its time to sell the cows #1  

jlsmith

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 285 Long 560 MF2670 CX100
Im thinking about selling all my cows before the market falls. Im thinking were are gona have a rough spring here in the south. Just wondering if anybody else was thinking this.

/ Think its time to sell the cows #2  
If you spring calve now is not the time to sell.Wait till they calve then sell.
Around here il. people are getting lazy @ want some one else to calve for them. I think the will just keep getting better. 600lbs. steers are 1.30 to1.50,
Pound cows .60.

/ Think its time to sell the cows #3  
I've been watching commodity prices carefully. They are absolutely trending upward. The question always is when prices are up on the beef or poultry or whatever is this: How much is my feed and other costs rising in relation?

It's the margins that concern me most.

/ Think its time to sell the cows #4  
One of the columns in Progressive Farmer said that corn might get to $7 a bushel in the March time frame. The report was in the last issue.

Later,
Dan

/ Think its time to sell the cows
I've been watching commodity prices carefully. They are absolutely trending upward. The question always is when prices are up on the beef or poultry or whatever is this: How much is my feed and other costs rising in relation?

It's the margins that concern me most.

Thats true, Im concerned about drought where im at. The beef prices are not where id like them to be right now. If we dont get the rain we need our hay season aint gona be good which will affect alot of folks in the area. Not to mention the price of fuel up to 5 to 6 dollars this summer.

/ Think its time to sell the cows
If you spring calve now is not the time to sell.Wait till they calve then sell.
Around here il. people are getting lazy @ want some one else to calve for them. I think the will just keep getting better. 600lbs. steers are 1.30 to1.50,
Pound cows .60.

Thats true and i have over 100 head. I have plenty of hay and feed to last the winter and let a few more cows calve out. I worried about the lakes drying up and not having enough water for them. Ill prob sell out and just bale everything next season that i can and then get a few more head of cattle.

/ Think its time to sell the cows #7  
If, as you say, you have the feed to finish the winter, already laid up, then you can be patient a little while longer, I should think. Futures look good for beef, near term. I don't see much of anything backing down, price wise.

Feed prices are jumping. Fuel is heading nowhere but north of 4-5 bucks.

I'd say your concerns, especially about water, is a real one. Who is to say what the weather will bring any of us? but, You might keep a few of the older calves as a hedge against the future, but sell off the main bunch, say, no later than March. I guess I'd take that gamble and keep a couple dozen weaned calves.

It's not the price for beef dropping that would concern me too much. It's the inflationary pressures on everything else that got most of us worried.

/ Think its time to sell the cows #8  
I think everyone should sell because that would make mine worth more. :D Ken Sweet