Lady Bug Infestation

/ Lady Bug Infestation #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I am currently living full time in my log cabin while my home in town is being rennovated. I'm enjoying country living. I'm handling the commute (40 minutes) okay. I'm handling the long muddy driveway okay. I'm dealing with not having TV or internet. I'm getting by with three of us in one tiny bathroom (even though one of us is a 17 year old girl).

But, the lady bugs are about to drive me nuts. I've heard that they are not technically ladybugs but they look like them to me. They don't bite.They aren't disgusting or scary. They don't get in the garbage. I don't think they are nasty or spread germs. But they are everywhere. Especially windows, ceilings and light fixtures. They get in our hair. They fall into the bed at night. Sometimes they fall in your plate. They also stink if disturbed or squashed.

Any home remedies for these things? We've tried vacuuming them up. By the hundreds. No help. I've set off bug bombs. Temprorary improvement only. Will try anything at this point.

/ Lady Bug Infestation #2  
I dont have a total solution for them but I have been told they are the thickest when you live in a wooded area. We have them and the only way I have found to get rid of them is with a shop vac. It can be a long process until you have them under control. Our population is much lower than it was a few years ago.

/ Lady Bug Infestation #3  
Do they look like this?
220px-Brown_marmorated_stink_bug_adult.jpg

Brown marmorated stink bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so they aren't lady bugs, but that dreaded stink bug. :mad: And those darn things are a pain, the only way to get ride of them is Seven (which indoors in the winter would be a really bad idea) or call an exterminator.:mad:

:thumbdown::eek:

We have the same problem up here in PA and in the winter they go indoors for warmth. So homes through out the region are inundated by them. Although they claim they aren't breeding in the winter, you couldn't prove it by me. And when you squish them, boy do they stink! :mur:

Good luck,

/ Lady Bug Infestation #4  
I think they are probably asian multicoloured lady beetles and they are a PITA. We use KONK 409 occasionally to kill them and cluster flys on mass then vacuum the remains. The other things that work are traps that contain crushed eggshells and stick to the inside of windows (brace yourself they are expensive). You will be surprised at the number that just seem to disapppear into these things. Once you get the population down to a reasonable number through these methods you will find it much easier to control them without pesticides although they do stink when squashed.

/ Lady Bug Infestation
John, I'll keep plugging away with the vaccum.

Jim, that's not what we have. These look just like ladybugs. They are round/dome shaped, red with little black spots. Kind of cute even....if there was just one of them!

We have had some bright green ones that are shaped like stink bugs but about the size of ladybugs. Sometimes dozens of them. They smell awful when squashed. Fortunately we haven't seen any of those in a long time.

I think this is what I've got:

Help with Asian Lady Beetles & Japanese LadyBugs from the Carolina Bugfarm

/ Lady Bug Infestation
Thanks studor, will look into that.

/ Lady Bug Infestation #7  
We get the same bugs in our cabin as well. Last summer I replaced the doors and we seem to have fewer this winter. Amazing how the darn things get in.

/ Lady Bug Infestation #8  
Bummer, you mean there is another bug that stinks like that, yuk! :)

Good luck with them.

/ Lady Bug Infestation #9  
Heard that sicky traps will work near something white, your right about the smell though, you squish one they do give off a smell.

/ Lady Bug Infestation #10  
Any home remedies for these things? We've tried vacuuming them up. By the hundreds. No help. I've set off bug bombs. Temprorary improvement only. Will try anything at this point.

You can forget about trying to keep them out, it's impossible. Vacuum is the best way to control them. I've tried the traps but they aren't very effective. Sounds like you have a major infestation that will require a professional exterminator. Good news is they will leave on their own in April. Bad news is they will come back in October. We can thank the idiots at the Dept. of Agriculture for importing them for Aphid control before researching the unintended consequences.