Gas or Electric Log Splitter?

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #1  

pajoube

Veteran Member
Tractor
Former Owner PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)
Have not been on this forum for some time.
I need a log splitter but have some questions.
In reading and talking with others it was mentioned that one should get a 20 ton or higher
log splitter. I was looking at electric log splitters which would fit my needs very well but noticed that 20 ton splitters or higher cost about the same as gas. I would like to take the splitter into my basement which is why I was looking at the electric ones.
Any one have any thoughts between gas and electric log splitters?
I have purchased items from DR prior so looked at their site and found they have an electric log splitter but rated at only 5 ton. I like the heavy duty from DR but feel this may be light for my needs.
I need to split wood that is larger than 10 inches (can split twice) and no longer than 20 inches.
PJ

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #2  
I thought I would never see a posting about an electric wood splitter. The reason being is I built one almost 25 years ago when wood splitters were just coming on the market and were as rare as hens teeth. Mine is stored at the moment in the barn in 2 seperate pieces, I removed the motor and pump to protect them.
It runs on 220 V AC and is powered by a 2 HP 1800 RPM motor direct coupled to a Williams HI LOw pump in the metel can with the oil contained inside. The cylinder is 24" stroke and 5" diameter, the pump makes 2000 PSI which equals 20 tons.
I had made a gasolne one before from parts?? and it had problems.
The electric splitter will plug into any stove outlet and has a 30' cord on it. The splitter is quiet and strokes at the same speed as a gasoline engine driven on. I reasoned at the time of the building all the wood I was splitting was being done at my side door so why do I need a screaming engine under the kitchen window.
Because I designed it It could be easily changed to be run by a gas engine and a adapter plate for each power unit. I have not yet seen a tree with a power outlet.
Craig Clayton

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #3  
I thought I would never see a posting about an electric wood splitter. The reason being is I built one almost 25 years ago when wood splitters were just coming on the market and were as rare as hens teeth. Mine is stored at the moment in the barn in 2 seperate pieces, I removed the motor and pump to protect them.
It runs on 220 V AC and is powered by a 2 HP 1800 RPM motor direct coupled to a Williams HI LOw pump in the metel can with the oil contained inside. The cylinder is 24" stroke and 5" diameter, the pump makes 2000 PSI which equals 20 tons.
I had made a gasolne one before from parts?? and it had problems.
The electric splitter will plug into any stove outlet and has a 30' cord on it. The splitter is quiet and strokes at the same speed as a gasoline engine driven on. I reasoned at the time of the building all the wood I was splitting was being done at my side door so why do I need a screaming engine under the kitchen window.
Because I designed it It could be easily changed to be run by a gas engine and a adapter plate for each power unit. I have not yet seen a tree with a power outlet.
Craig Clayton

How many GPM are you running through your pump.

With only a 2HP motor, and a big 5" cylinder, I find it hard to believe that it isnt VERY SLOOOOWWWWW.

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #4  
What kind of wood are you splitting? I see you are in Montana so I assume pine????

How much are you planning on splitting at a time and for what purpose. Roasting marshmallows, heating the house for the winter, or just for the fun of it?????

You store your wood in the basement?

God bless......Dennis

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #5  
I've looked at the available electric splitters on the market, and don't see any (??) larger than the small, slow 5 ton splitters. I think one would work for me as I just want it to resplit firewood during the winter for in-garage use to make kindling-size wood to start a fire.
However, they are sold to split up to 10" wood. What nixed it for me was how slow the splitter ran, and that the user had to hold two buttons down at the same time to accomplish a "safe" split while unable to put a steadying hand on the wood.

Also, I was at our local Menards store the other day when a fellow was bringing his electric splitter back for a refund. It looked quite used and there was some intense discussion going on about its return. The guy was saying it wouldn't split anything near 10 inches in diam that was claimed.

However, I know there are some people who think they are just great. Different expectations from different folks.

I'll stick to the 8 hp gas B&S with 24" ram that has been splitting faithfully since Jan '85. Will remain interested in an electric that will do what it will do if one exists. :)

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #6  
To LD1
All the specs were off the top off my head the pump is a Williams HI LOW piston pump. So as you are aware the conservation of energy formula must equal. At 2000 PSIG at 2HP I am putting out X GPM and at low pressure 400 -600 PSIG at 2 HP I am putting out X GPM. That is why I used a HI LOW pump. I am aware you have been studying the impact moment of wood splitting so the ram is fast until it loads up .Then it drops to 2000 PSIG until the wood shears then it goes to the higher volume and or to the return stroke.
Like all machines More HP = more work in a given time.
The 2 HP motor will work all day if I wanted a wood processor then I would jump to X??HP
Craig Clayton

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #7  
I have a 6 ton electric. I split 8 chords of hardwood last winter. Mostly beech and maple, up to 22" rounds. Very few pieces that it could not handle.
Benefit of electric is that they are quiet, cheap to operate and they fit under a shelf in the garage. Turn it on, split, turn it off, repeat as long as you like and then put it away out of sight.
I fill the saw and buck wood till I run out of gas. Split and stack and that's an evenings' work.

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter? #8  
To LD1
I have to make a retraction on my off the top of my head specs. To be exact the cylinder is 4" x 18''. Most people do not read the numbers very close or understand the effect a size change can make. In my orginal post I had actually typed 4" but when I did the math I could not achieve 20 tons. I reverse engineered the formula because I was sure it was 20 tons. I know I have 20 ton bottle jacks because it says so on the label.
I went out to measure on my 4th snow blowing of my drive and the 2nd of the farm lane across the road. Lets put my slip of memory down to Sudden Ground Hog Fever.
Craig Clayton

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter?
I have a 6 ton electric. I split 8 chords of hardwood last winter. Mostly beech and maple, up to 22" rounds. Very few pieces that it could not handle.
Benefit of electric is that they are quiet, cheap to operate and they fit under a shelf in the garage. Turn it on, split, turn it off, repeat as long as you like and then put it away out of sight.
I fill the saw and buck wood till I run out of gas. Split and stack and that's an evenings' work.

What brand are you using?

/ Gas or Electric Log Splitter?
What kind of wood are you splitting? I see you are in Montana so I assume pine????

How much are you planning on splitting at a time and for what purpose. Roasting marshmallows, heating the house for the winter, or just for the fun of it?????

You store your wood in the basement?

God bless......Dennis

Have wood delivered with about 1/5 needs to be split as it is over 10 inches.