Natural Gas Generator

/ Natural Gas Generator #21  
Most all newer generators are made to be able to convert from 1 gas to the other

Gas's yes and if you didn't have the electronics to deal with for the governor to keep the hertz correct and a gasoline fuel tank to connect and fabricate it would be easy and cheep.. What I was saying was It might be cheaper to buy something already set up to run on NG..

/ Natural Gas Generator #22  
Gas's yes and if you didn't have the electronics to deal with for the governor to keep the hertz correct and a gasoline fuel tank to connect and fabricate it would be easy and cheep.. What I was saying was It might be cheaper to buy something already set up to run on NG..

I think he was refering to NG & LPG. Most NG gernerators will run on either NG or LPG right out of the box.

/ Natural Gas Generator #24  
I realize this is a Big Iron discussion, but let me recommend buying at least one small generator. I have a 900 watt 2-cycle generator that I bought at Coastal Farm for $149. It is by far my most used generator. It is almost silent in operation, and will run 4.5 hours on a gallon of gas at 50% load. I toss a log on the wood stove, hook the home theater surge suppressor to an extension cord, and I am good for the evening. It will also run the freezer, refrigerator and my computer. 900 watts is plenty to run a furnace fan.

Big generators mean big fuel. The little 900 watt unit will run 20 hours on one 5 gallon can of gas.

Reliability of 2-cycle engines is not a problem. I mix Red Line full synthetic racing oil with the gas, and make sure I never put it away with gas in the tank or the carb. It's 6 years old now, and I use it every hunting season as a camp generator.

/ Natural Gas Generator #25  
I have been seriously thinking about a generator for our home when the power goes out ( which averages about 1-2 times a year ). What I would like to have is a natural gas generator. Some thing I could store in the garage and when the power goes out push it out side and hook up a flexible gas line to a hard line in the house with a ball valve quick connection. First off,,, does anyone have one and how do you like it. I'm thinking in the 5500 - 6500 watt range. Any and all pro and con opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and trouble. RRM
OK where did the orginal poster run off to?I was going to offer some great advice.LOL.Do you folks ever wonder if they are trolls or really do seek good advice?Sometimes I wonder why we waist our breath?I hope I am wrong!coobie

/ Natural Gas Generator #26  
i have a Koehler 10,000 w propane genset with an enclosed enclosure. i wired it to a separate indoors panel with a remote manual start switch and a propane on/off valve inside the garage of the house. so all i have to do is turn on the valve below the panel, push the start switch, then switch over to the generator feed after its started. i decided against the automatic transfer switch cause i really dont need the genset running if no one is home. the freezer and fridge will keep just fine till i get home from work. i have a 1500 gal propane tank...so should run for some time in an emergency. i have a 5000 sf home and this unit will handle all the lighting loads, microwave, refer and freezer, ignitions for furnace and water heaters, and tv/entertainment system. we lose power alot during the winter months, so its real nice to have this system. mind you, 2 years ago we had a power outage for 2 days during xmas time. the whole area was dark cept my house. even my xmas lights were on. my next door neighbor said he hates me (haha). i told them to come on over.

/ Natural Gas Generator #27  
i have a Koehler 10,000 w propane genset with an enclosed enclosure. i wired it to a separate indoors panel with a remote manual start switch and a propane on/off valve inside the garage of the house. so all i have to do is turn on the valve below the panel, push the start switch, then switch over to the generator feed after its started. i decided against the automatic transfer switch cause i really dont need the genset running if no one is home. the freezer and fridge will keep just fine till i get home from work. i have a 1500 gal propane tank...so should run for some time in an emergency. i have a 5000 sf home and this unit will handle all the lighting loads, microwave, refer and freezer, ignitions for furnace and water heaters, and tv/entertainment system. we lose power alot during the winter months, so its real nice to have this system. mind you, 2 years ago we had a power outage for 2 days during xmas time. the whole area was dark cept my house. even my xmas lights were on. my next door neighbor said he hates me (haha). i told them to come on over.

I am looking to install a very similar unit right now with our new home. The pad-mounted nat gas generator will test run once a week for reliability and I MUCH prefer not having to store fuel. The cost of these units has come down allot in recent times. I believe my installation will be under $5000 complete with transfer, gas line plumbing, and 10kw of power (B&S model).

I may buy a small 2 KW Honda unit for conveneince and a secondary backup. Affordable, uses little fues and nice for fish house and hunting too. :D

/ Natural Gas Generator #28  
I have the tri-fuel model mentioned earlier. I really like it. I use mostly gasoline but keep 2 of those big bottles of propane filled just in case. It is 5kw, mounted on a nice cart, and is all rigged up for direct backfeed via a generator interlockit which backfeeds my entire panel. 5kW was as large as I wanted to go due to amount of gasoline to keep on hand.