To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I'm installing OSB over insulation in my garage workshop (sorry about picture - phone cam). I need to decide if I'm going to paint it while I have shelves/benches pulled out. I really don't mind the look of the OSB, but wonder if I could improve the "brightness" by painting the walls white or some other light color. It is a garage/workshop and it does get dirty in here.

Wondering if others have experience with painting/not painting OSB walls. If so, I'd like to hear opinions.

Thanks,

Attachments

• garagesink.jpg
    garagesink.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,313
   / To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #2  
I vote YES. Do it now while everything is out of the way or you will never do it. White semi-gloss would be my choice.

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #3  
Back in 1990 I insulated the walls of my 24X36 garage with fiberglass, then nailed on 7/16 inch OSB inside. Thought about painting, but now 20 years later shelving, workbenches, storage etc. covers about 65% of the walls, and the remainder has tools and other stuff on racks hanging up. If you plan to do what I did, don't waste your time and money painting.

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #4  
I hate the look of OSB, it will turn yellow/brown over time, so I would paint it for sure.

JB.

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #5  
I vote YES. Do it now while everything is out of the way or you will never do it. White semi-gloss would be my choice.

X's 2.

Does look in the photo to be on the dark side..

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #6  
I have OSB in my garage and I like it's natural look. White would make it brighter for sure, but you will see more of the dirt if painted. Not something I want to bother with.

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #7  
X3 to avoid being in the dark :)

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #8  
Another advantage to painting is that it binds the fibers. Ever reach up to get a tool and get a splinter under your fingernail. Painting prevents that. If you don't want a "color" then just seal it.

/ To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #9  

X4 - and re-emphisis that if you don't do it now you probably never will.

yeah, with time it might get a bit dingy but I've seen my garage with and without paint, and it was much brighter with the paint.

As you can see, I left a 2' boarder on the bottom that I did with pressure treated plywood. Less dirt problems.

Pete

Attachments

• paint_done.jpg
    paint_done.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 3,462
   / To paint or not to paint garage/workshop walls #10  
Another advantage to painting is that it binds the fibers. Ever reach up to get a tool and get a splinter under your fingernail. Painting prevents that. If you don't want a "color" then just seal it.

That hurts just thinking about it!!!