Diesel Standby Generators

/ Diesel Standby Generators #1  

sparrowhawk

Silver Member
Tractor
JD x749, LX277
Does anyone have one that they would recommend out there? I see several different offerings including ones with Perkins diesels in them. Optimally, I'm looking for a 15KVA but a 20KVA would work fine as well. Any suggestions?

I'm not a fan of propane or natural gas, so I want to stick with diesel. Thanks in advance.

/ Diesel Standby Generators #2  
Does anyone have one that they would recommend out there? I see several different offerings including ones with Perkins diesels in them. Optimally, I'm looking for a 15KVA but a 20KVA would work fine as well. Any suggestions?

1*I'm not a fan of propane or natural gas, so I want to stick with diesel. Thanks in advance.

1*Here's why i prefer diesel /\ Unlimited Fuel Storage Capacity.

/ Diesel Standby Generators #4  
Just make sure your wallet opens real wide, because they will cost a pretty penny.

/ Diesel Standby Generators #5  
   / Diesel Standby Generators #6  
Get liquid cooled unit, air cooled genny will be 2 pole which means 3600 rpm operation. A 4 pole turns 1800 rpm but requires 3-4 cylinder usually.

Norpro | A Whole Lot More Than A Diesel Generator Manufacturer

These are some real beauties here, I dreamed of one of theirs but just went with a pto gen instead since I already had 2 diesel power plants (tractors)

Good luck, JB.

/ Diesel Standby Generators #7  
   / Diesel Standby Generators #8  
Any reason why you would not go PTO driven? :confused2:

/ Diesel Standby Generators #9  
I went pto for a few years. Heres why I sold it and went standby.

~Have to take implement off the tractor to hook up. We always loose power during thunderstorms and heavy snow, neither is fun to do in either situation.

~Tractor often was not handy to the house. Sometimes in another hayfield or at another location.

~I didn't mind running the tractor all night, did it numerous times for 24 hours or more, but it's overkill.

~During a storm it's nice to have the use of the tractor.

~When I was away, my wife couldn't unhook the implement on the tractor and rehook to the gen.

For some a PTO works great, for me it was a real hassle. The auto start does it's thing no matter where I am, no worries of the house freezing up or if my wife is ok when I'm dealing with a storm for the FD or with my business.

/ Diesel Standby Generators
Any reason why you would not go PTO driven? :confused2:

I would go PTO but I need something that is ready to go when my wifey needs it versus me hooking it up etc. I will probably get a PTO driven one as well because they are short money, portable and handy for other things.

Thanks for the maine references as well! I've lost my power 4 times in the last 10 days so enough is enough.!

Yep, I know diesel is a lot more expensive but they are also much more durable than the residential propane models from what I hear. I'm mid reconstruction so I'm having the electrician make provisions for a generator now.

I'll check out your recommendations and let you guys know which way I go. THANKS as always!