Good well flow rate?

/ Good well flow rate? #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I'm having a house built and just had a well dug. The driller hit 50 GPM at 300 feet. Is that good?

/ Good well flow rate? #2  
50 GPM is excellent.

/ Good well flow rate? #3  
Thats great - sounds more like a small stream than a well! Normally if you get 5-10 GPM that will suffice for most homes.

I would look at the static water height and probably set the pump a bit above the area where the high flow is occuring because at that rate a submersible pump could get pushed around wearing out the wires or damaging the pump eventually.

/ Good well flow rate? #5  
We get 5-1/2 gallons per minute and store it in a 3000 gallon surface tank and jet pump it everywhere on the property. Say you use 500 gallons per day. The tank refill at 3 gpm would be would take about 2-3/4 hours-at 5 gpm the refill would be an hour and forty minutes. This can be done over night on a timer to start and a float switch to stop.
Your quite fortunate with what you have provided to water is of good or repairable quality.

/ Good well flow rate? #6  
RobA said:
I'm having a house built and just had a well dug. The driller hit 50 GPM at 300 feet. Is that good?

50gpm is great. Realistically, you'll pump around 10gpm though. To pump more takes a big expensive pump, big expensive wire, and a lot of electricity...

/ Good well flow rate? #7  
50gpm is great. Realistically, you'll pump around 10gpm though. To pump more takes a big expensive pump, big expensive wire, and a lot of electricity...

You are right. Most well (submersible) pumps are in the 8-10 gallon per minute. On our first property the well we drilled was rated at 30 gallon per minute but had a 10 gallon per minute pump. With 50 gallons per minute that is a great well. But sometimes wells will either end up producing less and sometime more and occasionally dry up. My brother had a good well until new neighbors drilled theirs, then his went dry and he had to have his drilled almost 300 feet deeper, can you say $$$ :)

/ Good well flow rate? #8  
dang... @ 50 gpm ...you probably don't need a pumb ...JK

I think anything > 5 gpm is what they shoot for.

/ Good well flow rate? #9  
Maybe you can open a car wash with all that water!:thumbsup:

/ Good well flow rate? #10  
We don't know what our old one is. It's an above ground pump but has never been worked on or pulled. We have used it 20 years and only had to change out the holding tank. We think it was here 10 years before?? Noone was required to keep records back then.

We got nervous as its us and a tenant using off that old well. Also they are pushing ground water use here and we don't know what that will entail so we decided to drill a new one while we could. I think it was 310 ft, the flow is 40gpm. Hubby got a 2 HP pump it wasn't much more and its a 4 inch well. We have been watering the lawn, the garden and man do we have water. He is going to connect it to the house system, hasn't had time yet. But we think its good to go for a long long time.

Our next door neighbor has a nursery and the county or someone came out and put a meter on his well and he has to pay a waterbill. Ever heard of that?