Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Tractor
    JD 4410

Default Re: Morels

False morels (the poisonous ones) are solid inside. If it looks like a sponge, and it is hollow in the center, it's a morel.
    4410 ePR, 3rd SCV, Skid Plates, TuffTop Canopy
    430 FEL, 48 BH, MX-5, Bush Hog Chipper, and more.

455, 60" deck, MC-519, 3pt hitch

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsgf View Post
    False morels (the poisonous ones) are solid inside. If it looks like a sponge, and it is hollow in the center, it's a morel.
    Good rule of thumb. There are plenty around here that eat the red (false morels). I ate plenty as a kid, but the rule was to just eat a couple. The key is to cook them properly, and don't inhale the steam/fumes when cooking as that alone can make you sick or kill you. It's best to cook them outside.

Now, as an adult, I stay away from the false morels and just eat the true morels (when I'm lucky enough to find them).

If you don't know, it's best to do a lot of research before you eat ANYTHING you find in the woods.

See the pic below. The one on the left is a morel, the one on the right is a false morel (poisonous).

-psu_morell_morel_false_morelimg_6833_bw_2k_t640-jpg

Tractor
    Jinma 284

Well had ours tonight with some Flank Steaks. I only found a few nice Morels & had couple nice Shitiki (home grown) at the farm. I added few Portabellas and some onions to the pan.

Cooking down and smelling fine

tossed in a pan full of Broccoli to steam with it and a small salad just to STUFF ourselves.

Mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case DX45

Quote Originally Posted by Barry 1 View Post
    I like to hunt them,but how do you cook them so they don't taste like DIRT?? They all taste like DIRT. Tell me what you think they taste like. Garlic and butter flavored DIRT ??
    We drop them in a mix of egg and butter milk then batter them with crumbled town house crackers. Fry in butter. Haven't found anything so far I like better.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

So,is anyone having any luck finding any ? I keep looking,and nothing yet.Saw some on Craigslist for $40 a pound !!!
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

Silver Member deathtoblackberries's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota B2920

Quote Originally Posted by Barry 1 View Post
    So,is anyone having any luck finding any ? I keep looking,and nothing yet.Saw some on Craigslist for $40 a pound !!!
    I went out last weekend, Gifford Pinchot national forest and its still too cold. Snow at 3,000 feet, daytime air temps were 43 to 50 degrees and 30's overnight at 1,500 to 2,000 feet, Morels need soil temps of 53 degrees. It rained all week and has been cold so no Morels this weekend either. I did locate some nice burned areas.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456