Morels

/ Morels #51  
False morels (the poisonous ones) are solid inside. If it looks like a sponge, and it is hollow in the center, it's a morel.

/ Morels #52  
False morels (the poisonous ones) are solid inside. If it looks like a sponge, and it is hollow in the center, it's a morel.

Good rule of thumb. There are plenty around here that eat the red (false morels). I ate plenty as a kid, but the rule was to just eat a couple. The key is to cook them properly, and don't inhale the steam/fumes when cooking as that alone can make you sick or kill you. It's best to cook them outside.

Now, as an adult, I stay away from the false morels and just eat the true morels (when I'm lucky enough to find them).

If you don't know, it's best to do a lot of research before you eat ANYTHING you find in the woods.

See the pic below. The one on the left is a morel, the one on the right is a false morel (poisonous).

psu_morell_morel_false_morelIMG_6833_bw_2k_t640.JPG

/ Morels #53  
Well had ours tonight with some Flank Steaks. I only found a few nice Morels & had couple nice Shitiki (home grown) at the farm. I added few Portabellas and some onions to the pan.

Cooking down and smelling fine :p

tossed in a pan full of Broccoli to steam with it and a small salad just to STUFF ourselves.

Mark

/ Morels #54  
I like to hunt them,but how do you cook them so they don't taste like DIRT?? They all taste like DIRT. Tell me what you think they taste like. Garlic and butter flavored DIRT ??

We drop them in a mix of egg and butter milk then batter them with crumbled town house crackers. Fry in butter. Haven't found anything so far I like better.

/ Morels #55  
So,is anyone having any luck finding any ? I keep looking,and nothing yet.Saw some on Craigslist for $40 a pound !!!

/ Morels #56  
So,is anyone having any luck finding any ? I keep looking,and nothing yet.Saw some on Craigslist for $40 a pound !!!

I went out last weekend, Gifford Pinchot national forest and its still too cold. Snow at 3,000 feet, daytime air temps were 43 to 50 degrees and 30's overnight at 1,500 to 2,000 feet, Morels need soil temps of 53 degrees. It rained all week and has been cold so no Morels this weekend either. I did locate some nice burned areas.