How much does a round bale weigh?

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #1  

MrP

Gold Member
Tractor
None: Sold Kubota L3410 HST 4WD
I just unloaded one from the back of my truck. I was wondering if the weight could be too much for my FEL?

The round bale is about 6 feet in diameter and 6 feet wide.

Any guesses?

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #2  
10 lbs/cu ft +/- a lot

Guessing your bale at 1200#

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #3  
Depends how heavy it is.

Seriously, I'd guess anywhere from 600 to 1200 lbs.

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #5  
A 6 by 6 should be roughly of 1800 to 2000 lbs of dry hay with a good baler and operator. Some one with out those options would make it about 1500 lbs.

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #6  
<font color=blue>""I just unloaded one from the back of my truck. I was wondering if the weight could be too much for my FEL? "" <font color=black>

If you unloaded it with your FEL, then would you please tell us what happened. If nothing broke, and the rear wheels stayed on the ground, then the weight isn't too much for your FEL, IMO.

If, however, you didn't unload it with your FEL, then I understand the question. What did you unload it with?

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #7  
I agree with Art. On a 6x6 bale you're at least going to be 1500lbs. and up to 2000 lbs. With that said I have lifted thousands of this heavy of bales with my JD 4600 loader tractor and not one problem to date.

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #8  
I see where TSC has 3 point hitch round bale spears, rated at 1,500#, so I would imagine it is something less than that.

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #9  
I always hated those round bales........always had a hard time getting my fingers under the strings and when I picked them up the strings would just about always break.....I always had a hard time getting them up on the back of a pickup....I would rather pick up a square bale any day.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ How much does a round bale weigh? #10  
No problem if you use several bale hooks. Easier on the hands and gloves too. When the load gets higher a pitchfork Helps.
Egon