Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Automotive coolant

I was at the local Meijers this morning, picking up groceries and I stopped in the automotive section for some 1/4 inch hose clamps. It always makes me laugh when I see the shelves full of Prestone, etc., antifreeze/coolant that costs the same price (about $11-12 per gallon) for both full strength and the 50/50 pre-diluted type. Obviously, there are some people willing to pay $5 or $6 for a half gallon of water, or the pre-diluted type wouldn't be on the shelves. Whoever came up with that concept was pretty smart, unlike the customers who buy the stuff.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Default Re: Automotive coolant

Same thing with the ready-to-use Round Up in the garden centers. It's even worse than ready to use antifreeze! I'm sure there are very few if any buyers who ever check out the concentration of glyphosate in the various bottles.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Canute View Post
    Same thing with the ready-to-use Round Up in the garden centers. It's even worse than ready to use antifreeze! I'm sure there are very few if any buyers who ever check out the concentration of glyphosate in the various bottles.
    GOOD POINT, I should have thought of that. The best source I have found to buy the highest percentage of glyphosate per ounce of weedkiller is at Tractor Supply Company.
    You can buy a BIG container of high concentrate glyphosate for a lot less money there than you would pay for lower concentrates elsewhere.

GREAT POST, thanks.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Most of the cost is in the distribution and mark up, cost of manufacturing is almost insignificant. Look at the cost of a bottle of water and an equivalent bottle of soda.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310, Toro Reelmaster 5100D

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    Obviously, there are some people willing to pay $5 or $6 for a half gallon of water, or the pre-diluted type wouldn't be on the shelves. Whoever came up with that concept was pretty smart, unlike the customers who buy the stuff.
    There are some people who can't do mixing ratios, even when they are as simple as 1:1.

Last time I checked here, the premix was 25% less than the cost of the full strength.

If your doing a roadside repair, or have people working for you, sometimes the premix is worth the extra cost.

If you want to see a real scam, check out "foaming" hand soap. An 8oz bottle has about 1oz. of actual soap, the rest is water. Same price as an 8 oz. bottle of soap right next to it. Anyone who uses this product, for God's sake make your own refills. If you have kids, you could save enough money to pay for a year of college.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    GOOD POINT, I should have thought of that. The best source I have found to buy the highest percentage of glyphosate per ounce of weedkiller is at Tractor Supply Company.
    You can buy a BIG container of high concentrate glyphosate for a lot less money there than you would pay for lower concentrates elsewhere.

GREAT POST, thanks.
    Cheapest i have found is Agri-supply. Instore there brand of Wise-up , i beleive, its $34.95 for 2.5 gallons of 41% glyphosate.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    There are some people who can't do mixing ratios, even when they are as simple as 1:1.

Last time I checked here, the premix was 25% less than the cost of the full strength.

If your doing a roadside repair, or have people working for you, sometimes the premix is worth the extra cost.

If you want to see a real scam, check out "foaming" hand soap. An 8oz bottle has about 1oz. of actual soap, the rest is water. Same price as an 8 oz. bottle of soap right next to it. Anyone who uses this product, for God's sake make your own refills. If you have kids, you could save enough money to pay for a year of college.
    I'd settle for just having kids with the common sense to wash their hands in the first place.