little storm came thru

/ little storm came thru #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
we lucked out compared to other places in Ar. but we still lost 3 trees, one a big old pecan, that i hated to lose: an we lost about 6 or 7 sheets of 14ft tin off the barn...dang that stuff is high..i spent today putting new 1x4's down to put the new tin on, an pulling a bunch of nails that had backed out of the rest of the roof, an replaceing them with screws. tomorrow i will go do a little shopping an see if i can find the 14 ft tin a little cheaper.
heehaw

/ little storm came thru #2  
I lost one tree in the storm on the 11th and it just slightly damaged the corner of my garden tool storage building. But like you, I figure I really lucked out compared to so many folks, including you.

/ little storm came thru #3  
I lost one tree in the storm on the 11th and it just slightly damaged the corner of my garden tool storage building. But like you, I figure I really lucked out compared to so many folks, including you.

Bird, I saw golfball sized hail on the news last night that came from Lewisville. Of course, I immediately thought of you and RedRocker who lives in Lewisville. Did you see any hail? We got nothing. The last two storms only made it a little cooler here, but no rain at all.

/ little storm came thru #4  
Bird, I saw golfball sized hail on the news last night that came from Lewisville. Of course, I immediately thought of you and RedRocker who lives in Lewisville. Did you see any hail? We got nothing. The last two storms only made it a little cooler here, but no rain at all.

Jim, the thunder got loud here, and we had some brief intermittent interference with the satellite TV reception, but not a drop of moisture. I'd sure like to have some rain, but glad the hail missed us. Radar made it look like it went by just a couple miles north of us and then just east of us. I just now came in from putting some birdseed in the bird feeder and could feel some mist in the air, so maybe there's reason to hope???:laughing:

I know where Redrocker lives, but haven't talked to him in quite awhile. He just might have gotten some of that hail.

/ little storm came thru #5  
Last night at 9:30 pm we had a storm blow over. No wind or large hail, just a quick 1" of rain. I think the construction crew has one whole sheet of sheetrock under my deck that got wet, but between what they left inside and I moved inside right as the storm started, we got everything else that could be damaged by rain inside. Now, I need to go check the 24" x 48" hole in the wall that is covered by plastic, waiting on a glass block window that was supposed to be here two days ago. Don't ever believe it when PPG says it takes 10-14 days for a special order to arrive.:rolleyes:

/ little storm came thru #6  
A whole inch of rain, Jim? I'm jealous. The NWS shows Denton got .02" and I figure I got about half that.:laughing: At least it's still overcast and cool so I guess the lower electric bill will make up for the higher water bill for watering the yard.:rolleyes:

/ little storm came thru #7  
That storm went right over us, just North. Had my fingers crossed for rain, but only got a misting.

At least it rained close to PK, though mostly on the wrong side.

/ little storm came thru #8  
I bought some galvanized roofing last week. I found that the metal building manufacturers were about half the price of Lowes. I got two bids around $2.50 a linear foot (3 feet wide). Unforunately the pattern I bought does not line up with barn tin but it would be worth asking if they can make it in barn tin shape. The best deal I found was SBI in Hot Springs. They will make any length you want.

/ little storm came thru #9  
The worst of the storm for the most part went around us. We had a tree hit by lightning 130 feet from the house. Bark was blown a good 90 feet from the tree. I was looking outside when the flash hit followed by the boom. Way to close. :eek: The trunk was not split so maybe the tree will survive.

Scary thing was I would have been working under that tree if I was doing outdoor chores that day. :eek: We had head no thunder and the storms were still 20-30 miles away.

Yesterday I went Down East to help clean up a trailer directly hit by a tornado. Supposedly there were four trailers hit but it was kinda hard to tell because only one was still "standing" while the others were spread over hundreds of yards and left in mounds.

The owner of the trailer we were cleaning up was killed. A trailer a few hundred yards across the street had two fatalities. A son and father. They were found with the son covering the father with his body. The father was dead at the scene and the son was pronounced dead at the hospital but it sounded like he bled out before getting to the ER.

The trailer I was cleaning up was on a block foundation held down by straps. The straps simply failed. Most of the anchors are still in the ground inside the foundation. The trailer lifted, I assume from the front facing the tornado, flipped over leaving a "trench" where the side or roof peak hit the ground and rolled at least once while rotating 90 degrees. The structure of the trailer, 2x6 walls, I beam support, etc seem to have held up very well. I was quite impressed with how well made the trailer was as well. as the quality of the materials.

One has to wonder if cables or thicker straps would have held down that trailer and prevented a death.

The other two trailers where just gone. A fourth trailer was still intact a hundred years or so behind the one I was working on. It had been rotated 90 degrees but it was still upright. If the tornado had passed a few hundred yards east or west it would have only taken out trees. This was a very rural area and the tornado managed to hit a cluster of homes.

There were quite a few people out helping to clean up and I heard a group of 30 people would be driving down from VA to help out. Even a green and orange tractor were working together. :D A deputy was parked across the street 24 hours a day to prevent looting. :thumbsup:

On the way down I passed an area that was hard hit as well. The tornado managed to hit two subdivisions really hard. Again, if the path had been a hundred yards or so one way or the other, it would have missed the homes. This area was in Sanford and they had quite a few officers out blocking access to residents only. I heard the same thing was happening in Fayetteville which was hit as well.

We have had decent weather since the storm which gave people time to salvage what was salvageble. It does %^&*( stink cleaning up the possessions after these disasters. Does not get easier and it surely ^&*( stinks when people die. I was talking to one of the member of VFD that responded after the storm and found the victims. At least they were able to find the people quickly and do what they could. If the victims had been IN what was left of the trailers it would have taken quite a bit of work to get them out.

My granny had a saying, "Thank your lucky stars." I said that after the tree was hit by lightning and I was mumbling "Thank your lucky stars." cleaning up the house and seeing the destruction as I was driving. It could have been us....

Later,
Dan

/ little storm came thru #10  
A whole inch of rain, Jim? I'm jealous. The NWS shows Denton got .02" and I figure I got about half that.:laughing: At least it's still overcast and cool so I guess the lower electric bill will make up for the higher water bill for watering the yard.:rolleyes:

Well Bird, you and Dennis are having my usual luck. The rain normally splits and goes around me on both sides. Last night's storm was awesome. :D

I have a pit dug in my yard to expose my sewer pipe for attaching the new bathroom. I made the pit much bigger than necessary to give the plumber plenty of room to work. This morning, it was full of water.:thumbdown:. I have a little Homelite trash pump with a 1" suction line and a 2-cycle engine. I was all set to pump out the water when I discovered the fuel lines were brittle and broken. The filter inside the tank was even broken off the end of the hose. All this despite the fact that I drain the tank and put it away dry.:rolleyes:

So, I had to replace the tank hose (fun feeding the new hose into the tiny tank hole and fishing it out of the filler cap to put on the tank filter). That done, the return line to the tank was brittle too: REPLACE....still would not pump gas with the primer bulb. I removed the bulb and it was fine, no holes. I checked the checkvalve beneath the bulb to find it was stuck. A quick finger nail lift and gas came pouring out. Yippee! :thumbsup: Oops! Too quick, it would not start even though it clearly had gas, so I pulled the plug. It was soaked. I pulled the starter rope a couple of times to clear the cylinder and then dried the plug. After that, I hooked the plug back up and grounded it while pulling the rope. A good hot spark was jumping. I put the plug back in and set the choke to full open and 1/2 throttle. One more pull of the rope and it sprang to life, "WAHHHH!" :dance1:

So, back to the water hole I go and drop in the suction line and prime the pump. One pull of the rope and the pump fired right off and ran perfectly. A couple of brief regurgitative responses on the outlet and it started spewing water like crazy. The manual says it will pump 1860 GPH and I believe it. It emtied that hole in about 5 minutes.:cool2::cool2::cool2:

So the moral to this story is Murphy's Law: "Things will always fail at the times you need them the most." Luckily I was prepared for Mr. Murphy and had all I needed to get-r-done.:D