Horse trailer roof sealant

/ Horse trailer roof sealant #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I need to reseal a leaking roof vent on a horse trailer. Any thoughts on what to use? Looks like the sealant that was originally used was brushed on.

/ Horse trailer roof sealant #2  
I have used that silver "mobile home" or barn roof paint for similar applications. I has a fiber in it and does not tequire the prep that other paints require. If you have a real bad area you could pop rivet a patch on it and slop the roof paint right over it. It is pretty cheap too.

/ Horse trailer roof sealant #3  
If the vent is flanged, you might want to remove it and clean up the roof and vent mating surfaces.

The RV industry carrys strips of butyl and caulk sealant in various widths. I would think you would be looking for something about an inch wide. The butyl is more costly but in my opinion is a better product. Lay the sealant down on the flange or the roof, line it up and secure it.

Might want to put a dab of silicon on the heads of your fastening devices.

/ Horse trailer roof sealant #4  
If a couple inches wide is all you need to seal, my work truck came from the factory with a seal at the roof joints that is a tape product. It is aluminum foil tape with a thick adhesive. It has worked well on my truck.