Anyone collect rainwater.

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #1  

looknlearn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800, 1953 Economy King 2409
Since we get city water, watering is expensive and the chlorinated water can't be that good for the plants so we are trying to find ways to collect rainwater. Here are some photos of what we have got so far. Anyone is welcome to post what they have as well.

We got one 1500 gallon tank hooked up and six 55 gallon tanks up.
IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #2  
Very nice set up. It's on my to do list, just not at the top yet. :)

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #3  
Thats quite a system you got there. I have one 55 gallon drum set up. I installed it last year to see if its something I wanted to fool with. Right now Its disconnected until I install a better overflow.

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #4  
I need to get a bigger water bin. I put a 50 gal trough under one of the gutter drains last week to see how mush I could get, filled it up with less than 1/2" rain. used it to water the flower beds.

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #5  
I collect rain water to try to keep my pond full.. When I had the pond dug it was in the area where my houses perimeter drain was so I ran it right into the pond,, All the down spouts from the roof go into it too.. It helps but I still can not keep it full,,,

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #6  
You should have enough water to supply the City:D :thumbsup:
I've done this at our Barn,
One day while raining I notice how much water was coming from the roof and rutting out the ground below, I installed a gutter and downspout, the next time it rained I watch the water pour from the spout like a fire hydrant hose, :confused: Then Had a brain storm :D I now have a 275 gal container with the gutter dumping into it just as you have, Although I should need 3 or 4 of these containers as I watch this one fill in only 1 hour and start running over............ this water sure comes in handy, ;) Keeps me from having run 150 ft of hose from the house:) I have a hose bib and 50 ft. hose connected to the container and it is elevated about 2 1/2 ft will provide enough force to water most the garden with a hose,:thumbsup:

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #7  
I have thought of collecting rain water but then I figure out what it would cost to buy the containers. :)

If we ever raise chickens, we will collect the rain water off the hutch for the birds since it would be the easiest thing to do.

It bothers me to "waste" the rain water off the roof but we just do not use enough water to justify spend money on water storage.

Later,
Dan

/ Anyone collect rainwater.
Yeah, the tanks can be pricey. I think it was $1420 or so for the two 1550 gal. black water tanks, shipped. The other tank we are gonna elevating 12 feet and hope to fill that one from our garage and house. I think it wouldn't take too long to them to pay for themselves in a few years.

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #9  
Nice setup, we have not had enough rain to fill a 5 gal bucket this year.

/ Anyone collect rainwater. #10  
Nice setup, we have not had enough rain to fill a 5 gal bucket this year.

Actually I wouldn't be sure if the OP is gathering rain or snow that has been melting:D I heard they got hit Pretty good in Buffalo past Winter;)