Modine Hot-Dawg

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
Has anyone had any experience with the Modine Hot-Dawg heaters? http://hot-dawg.modine.com/

They are somewhat reasonable, $560 for 70K BTU, and are supposed to be good for garages and such. When the new home is built I'm having propane piped to the garage and am looking for a heater.

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #2  
Don't have the Modine unit, but one similar in size. It has a vent, and I used to have one that did not vent to the outside. That is not good, as there is too much moisture in the air when they don't vent outside. I think you are on the right track.

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #3  
Go with a vented unit, or turn your garage into a swamp.
Even if you use an infrared unit, the combustion creates water vapor.

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #4  
This might seem dumb, but what would the temperature be of the exhaust from one of these units? Could it vent through a side wall with vinyl siding?

/ Modine Hot-Dawg
I don't know the temp of the exhaust. But I'd guess that you need a thimble type of setup like you'd have on a fireplace or stove.

High efficency gas furnaces can exhaust theough PVC pipe because most of the energy's been extracted from the combustion gases.

I don't think the vinyl siding is an issue if it's done right.

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #6  
Can't comment about their heaters but they have a mfg. plant back in my home town of Pemberville, OH - Been there since before 1985. Small farm community.

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #7  
I have the furnace you are talking about. I use it in a 30x40 shop that is well-insulated. It works well, only complaint is that it is somewhat loud (fan) when running. I set my thermostat @ 45 degrees for keeping the barn warm, and then turn it up when desired. It has been up for 2 years and has been no trouble. The side vent exhaust is nice, and easy to install, with no extra holes in your roof.

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #8  
I too have a Hot-Dawg. It's mounted in my gargage. As mentioned the fan in LOUD!! Other than the fan, it works great and warms up very fast- I live in Montana.

Think it's a very good value.

Rick

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #9  
GaryM - I have a HD75(75,000btu) in my 26x40 Barn with 15' ceilings. I'm totally pleased with its performance. No problems. Side wall exhaust is great.

I've also picked up a 45,000btu unit for my garage/shop building. Not installed yet but expect good results. Chuck

/ Modine Hot-Dawg #10  
Eric - The Hot-Dawg uses 3" Type B vent. Pipe inside a pipe. Inside pipe is exhaust and outside pipe is the intake air. So the pipe temp is not that bad. The installation requires 1" clearance......so......the hole in the wall is slightly bigger than the pipe. A collar is used on the exterior/interior penetration to finish it. Chuck