Food plots in!

/ Food plots in! #1  

hrcarver

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040
Finished planting most of my plots last week. I finally remembered to take a couple pics. :thumbsup:

DSCN0034.jpg

Some apple trees I planted back in the winter. They are off to a good start.

DSCN0030.jpg

A cell phone pic of a mixed oats and clover plot. They seem to like the combo.

0427110950a95254233.jpg

/ Food plots in! #2  
Looks good, I just sprayed my fields last week, looking to plant by June 1.

I use that oats and clover combo on the off seasons when I give the field a break from soybeans and turnips.

/ Food plots in! #3  
Looks like you use the same fence circles to protect your trees as I do. When you finally take them down because the trees are big enough, remember to protect the trunks against buck rubs. I lost two trees completely last year and three or four more were somewhat damaged. I felt especially stupid because I had already had an English walnut almost killed by a rub two years earlier and I knew how to protect them....just didn't "get around to it" in time.

Chuck

/ Food plots in! #4  
Man they sure are eating a ton of that stuff. Look at the growth in the cages on that pic of the oats/clover if you dont know what i mean (not you Hcarver).

/ Food plots in!
Thanks for the warning, but they are not coming down, ever. 4' diameter should last those trees a looonnnggg time. I've been there too! :thumbsup:

How do prevent rubs without them?

/ Food plots in! #6  
We talk about going back home to Indiana quite often and may one day. The deer up there are in herds there are so many. I'm thinking if we ever do they will eat everything I plant, have to protect it like you guys I guess.

By the way I found a nice place, house built in 2004, about 2300 sq ft. A 30 X 60 pole barn with concrete floor, 200 amp service, a nice pond. I love to fish, and 18 acres of pastureland for $159k. Unbelieveable, but the job market there isn't so great but for us in retirement ideal. I told hubby only consider if we put granite countertops in and a tile backsplash and build me a 2 car garage at least by the house and a paved driveway.

Land out here where we live now has gone to $75000 for 2 acres, can you imagine?

/ Food plots in! #7  
Those cages are just to show what the field with no deer predidation would look like. He dosent have it protected. You can use something like plotmaster or others, a string fence with a chemical detterrant sprayed on it to deter deer till the grass or crop can take grazing. Then the string/fence is removed.

/ Food plots in! #8  
Finished planting most of my plots last week. I finally remembered to take a couple pics. :thumbsup:

HR
Nice pics/equipment etc. ! :thumbsup:
You might try running "the ole" King disc harrow once in a while before it dies( locks up) from loneliness ! :laughing:

Boone

/ Food plots in!
I still use that ole king on the majority of new plots to cut in lime and phosphorus. Then the following years (assuming repeat business, everyone has been so far) I get to use that drill for the same price and it takes me less than half the time.;)

Been thinking about sandblasting and painting the old harrow. That and my chisel plow would look pretty good with a new coat of new paint (or any paint really:eek:). Problem is I "need" another new tractor. Decisions, decisions.:p

/ Food plots in! #10  
Very nice food plots! Hope mine look like that someday.