New holland 852 round baler

/ New holland 852 round baler #1  

bdw593

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6025
Found a new holland 852 round baler at a local dealership and was needing some input. This is an older baler (bar and chain) and I realize that belt balers are preferred but I dont want to spend the $ for a belt baler when I only bale 100 bales a year, just don't make sense to me. I have looked the baler over and all the sprockets look good and none of the bars are bent. The floor looks to be in good shape. The chains are not rusted and still have a good coating of grease on them. The outside has been "repainted" kinda shoddy job but that's no big deal. No rust that I can see. The large belt on the right side of the baler is dry rotted but dealership is going to replace it. All tires are in good shape and it has the auto tie. That's all I know about the machine. Any input, suggestions, what to look for etc, would be greatly appreciated.

/ New holland 852 round baler #2  
If the tier works, it sounds like you are good to go. Check for wear on the tie fingers. If one breaks when rain is coming, you can lose a lot of hay. 100 bales is a respectable small operation, but you shouldn't need to spend a fortune to get it done.

/ New holland 852 round baler #3  
Check the rollers located on the chain. Make sure they are tight. Look at the idler sprockets and feel if there is a dip and the teeth are worn even. These are good balers to start out with. Good Luck

/ New holland 852 round baler
Fastcars63 said:
Check the rollers located on the chain. Make sure they are tight. Look at the idler sprockets and feel if there is a dip and the teeth are worn even. These are good balers to start out with. Good Luck

You mean the rubber rollers? And which 1s are the idler sprocket?.

Larry Caldwell said:
If the tier works, it sounds like you are good to go. Check for wear on the tie fingers. If one breaks when rain is coming, you can lose a lot of hay. 100 bales is a respectable small operation, but you shouldn't need to spend a fortune to get it done.

Thanks for the reply. 2 ?'s. What's the tier and where are the tie fingers and where are they located.

/ New holland 852 round baler #6  
You mean the rubber rollers? And which 1s are the idler sprocket?.

good to check the rubber idlers in the tail gate.

The chain idlers are the sprockets located every time the chain changes direction,

make sure the tie operates like it suppose to. There is a manual trip causing it to turn. there should be a full bale alarm to go with this baler. Tells the operator when the bale is ready to tie. Since its an 852 it will tie itself.

look at the pick up fingers make sure there arent too many missing.

open the gate and let it stand open checking the cylinders for internal leaks

look at the sides make sure there are no holes in the sides or floor

"there should be a full bale alarm to go with this baler"

I saw that and was wondering what it plugged into. It looked like a female plug do I have to run a power wire and a male plug?

The sprockets looked good. All pickup fingers there, no rust or holes on floor or sides.

/ New holland 852 round baler #8  
"there should be a full bale alarm to go with this baler"

I saw that and was wondering what it plugged into. It looked like a female plug do I have to run a power wire and a male plug?

The sprockets looked good. All pickup fingers there, no rust or holes on floor or sides.

the box should plug into baler and then connect ground and hot to tractor. I forgot which wire is ground and which is hot. there is a micro switch someplace on the baler. when all is working there will be a buzz and a light come on when baler is going to tie

Well I figured out the manual trip. Baled several bales today and the baler worked fine. The only problem it had was when the tie arms tripped sometimes it would not feed the string to wrap the bale... Then the left side would not cut when it was supposed to... Anyone know how to fix this?. I ordered a manual but it has not arrived yet.