Looking for a good wheelbarrow

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #1  

dan daly

My criteria:

I want a wheelbarrow for moving around rocks, soil, grass clippings etc. The area where I'll be using has some slopes and uneven ground. So I need durability and stability plus the a nice size area to put stuff all while still being able to push it when loaded. Not sure if I want 1 wheel or 2.

I looked over a bunch of different models on amazon.com and don't see anything with great reviews jumping out. Seems like all of the ones with plastic tubs (if that's the right word) have pretty poor quality with stuff cracking a lot, even the more expensive ones.

So does anyone have any experience with a decent wheelbarrow they'd recommend that's not going to break the bank but isn't going to just plain break either?

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #2  
I vote for flat proof tires..Or else,Always have to add air to use it?

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #3  
Two wheels don't work well crossing a slope or on a narrow path.

I've also discovered it is less work to move it half-full twice, instead of really full and heavy once.

Bruce

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #4  
I would just buy the $40-$50 on sale metal wheelbarrow with stout wooden handles and single wheel at the hardware. If you keep it inside when not in use and don't abuse it, they will last many years. You can mix concrete in them too.

You can always put a flat-free wheel on it later or replace the wooden handles if need be.
Dave.

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #5  
+1 one on the plain old plain old.

Allot of them have tubless tires. I find when they start leaking, putting in a tube fixes that problem.

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #6  
You mean a loader on the tractor? :D

I have a couple wheel barrows. I have the all metal contractor type. I would not buy another plastic, or metal tub/wood frame wheelbarrow. Handles flex, loosen up, twist.

The metal contractor types last forever too. More expensive, but the last wheelbarrow you'll ever need.

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #8  
You mean a loader on the tractor? :D

I have a couple wheel barrows. I have the all metal contractor type. I would not buy another plastic, or metal tub/wood frame wheelbarrow. Handles flex, loosen up, twist.

The metal contractor types last forever too. More expensive, but the last wheelbarrow you'll ever need.

I had to laugh when I saw your 'loader on a tractor', thought the same thing. I donated my old wheelbarrow to the horse rescue folks down the road, I've had no use for it since 2003 when I got my tractor. All I did with it was move it from one spot in the garage to another. It still had the original wood handles and it was 13 years old when I passed it on. :thumbsup:

One thing I discovered about moving large rocks with a wheelbarrow, is to lay the wheelbarrow on it's side, roll/scoot the rock into the tub as much as will fit in. Then set the barrow upright by lifting on the edge of the tub the rock is laying on and pushing on the other side of the tub for leverage - while chanting your favorite words of encouragement.
Dave.

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #9  
Jackson used to be the only wheelbarrow worth looking at. Not sure if they are still around.

Totally agree !
In these parts seem like that is what the serious contractors use(never owned one).

Boone

Jackson - Home

/ Looking for a good wheelbarrow #10  
I agree that Jackson seems to be the one of the best yard and garden tool maker out there but I did see a broken Jackson Polly wheelbarrow recently. I would say to go with one of the best so when you need it, it is there waiting for work, not waiting to be fixed.

Solid tires are great. We got one a while ago and have found nail heads poking out after working on the job site (no delay with a solid tire:thumbsup::D).

We have an old contractor duty Polly tubbed Agri-Fab wheelbarrow that dad got about 20 years ago or so. We have beat that thing and nothing gives(had to reinforce the stand a few years ago). Original wood handles, original tub with no breaks. The tub is thicker and softer than the newer ones and I think that's it's secret or maybe it was just a good batch. It is also balanced better than most other ones I have used. We have a cheaper one that I broke in a short period of time. The tub was to thin and brittle.

I haven't met a steel wheelbarrow I liked because of the weight empty in comparison to size and balance when transporting a load. Probably just spoiled with the good one we got.

Don't know if I was any help in my ramblings but I hope so.:eek: