chickens

/ chickens #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I am going to try somthing new this year. I just ordered 25 baby chicks from McMurray hatchery. I ordered 7 BUFF ORPINGTONS Females   6 RHODE ISLAND REDS Females  5 WHITE ORPINGTONS Females and 7 BLACK AUSTRALORPS Females I plan to let them free range during the day and lock them up in the evening. I found a great list, Chickens-101, on yahoo. The babies are due to arrive on the 24th. Can't wait!

/ chickens #2  
Of the 25 "pullets" post how many turn out to be roosters[/smile]
Good luck.

/ chickens #3  
When ordering from Murray McMurray Hatchery,if you order females,that is what you will get if he orders 25 pullets,he might get 1 or 2 roosters(maybe)they always throw in a couple of extra chicks above and beyond what you order,usually a rare breed bird chick plus one or two extra of what you ordered.They are a 1st class hatchery,Strombergs is another good hatchery,but Murray McMurray is by far the biggest.

/ chickens
McMurray guarantees 90% accuracy on the sexing of the chicks so I figure I'll get a couple by mistake and one or two that they throw in as 'exotics'. If they behave, fine. If not, Sunday dinner. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My kids and I spent yesterday converting a horse stall into a coop. It is a fun project to do with them.

/ chickens #5  
Congratulations! Chickens are a LOT of fun...provided they stay off your table saw. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You can read about our experiences raising them on our very own Chicken Page. A Flock of Your Own Enjoy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ chickens #6  
Nuthing like a barefoot walk thru the yard when there are free range chickens aroun.

Egon

/ chickens #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nuthing like a barefoot walk thru the yard when there are free range chickens aroun.

Egon )</font>

And you thought that was mud squishin' up between your toes! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ chickens #9  
I'm curious, is there a reason you haven't ordered any roosters? The flock will be more contented (in my experience) and the eggs taste better (I think). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim

/ chickens #10  
Oh yeah I forgot, I've had the "BLACK AUSTRALORPS" before. Great layers, taste good too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif