Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910

Default chickens

I am going to try somthing new this year. I just ordered 25 baby chicks from McMurray hatchery. I ordered 7*BUFF ORPINGTONS Females **6*RHODE ISLAND REDS Females *5*WHITE ORPINGTONS Females and 7*BLACK AUSTRALORPS Females I plan to let them free range during the day and lock them up in the evening. I found a great list, Chickens-101, on yahoo. The babies are due to arrive on the 24th. Can't wait!

Veteran Member

Default Re: chickens

Of the 25 "pullets" post how many turn out to be roosters[/smile]
    Good luck.

When ordering from Murray McMurray Hatchery,if you order females,that is what you will get if he orders 25 pullets,he might get 1 or 2 roosters(maybe)they always throw in a couple of extra chicks above and beyond what you order,usually a rare breed bird chick plus one or two extra of what you ordered.They are a 1st class hatchery,Strombergs is another good hatchery,but Murray McMurray is by far the biggest.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910

McMurray guarantees 90% accuracy on the sexing of the chicks so I figure I'll get a couple by mistake and one or two that they throw in as 'exotics'. If they behave, fine. If not, Sunday dinner. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My kids and I spent yesterday converting a horse stall into a coop. It is a fun project to do with them.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Congratulations! Chickens are a LOT of fun...provided they stay off your table saw. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

You can read about our experiences raising them on our very own Chicken Page. A Flock of Your Own Enjoy. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Nuthing like a barefoot walk thru the yard when there are free range chickens aroun.

Egon

Better put a fence around the garden...chickens love tomatos...

Tractor
    NH TC33D

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nuthing like a barefoot walk thru the yard when there are free range chickens aroun.

Egon )</font>

And you thought that was mud squishin' up between your toes! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 2220D

I'm curious, is there a reason you haven't ordered any roosters? The flock will be more contented (in my experience) and the eggs taste better (I think). [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jim

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 2220D

Oh yeah I forgot, I've had the "BLACK AUSTRALORPS" before. Great layers, taste good too. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast