Lincoln Welder?

/ Lincoln Welder? #1  

Inspector507

How about the Lincoln K1297?
AC 40-225 DC30-125
Is this a good unit have around the place? And could I learn on it easily?

/ Lincoln Welder? #3  
Sounds like you're talking about the A/C--D/C buzz box. I used one for years and it did more than fine.

I only have one personal preference for Miller buzz boxes over Lincoln. That's the ability of the Miller to adjust by the amp instead of the five and ten amp adjustments Lincoln uses.

I once had a fella who taught welding tell me that his experience showed him that either you have it or you don't. Some people just pick it up and some never can.

The biggest mistake I see newbies doing is moving too fast. They've burned a hole and they become terrified that it will happen again. So they move entirely too fast after that.

You have to keep in mind it's not like using a calk gun, well mig running like most folks run it, can be. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif What you're doing is melting a little off each side and then adding some more molten material to it so that you have something completely different but is a whole unit and no longer two halves. Think of it like a marriage I guess, a good one.

I once had a weldor explain the process as similar to making love. Hmmmmmmm how do I do I explain this for mixed company......????????? I guess, well no, okay, how about, no, awright, no........

The concept is that the molten metal part of the weld is like a part of the anatomy. And that it's natural condition is liquified on the edges while making love. You want that same liquification (bushism?) three hundred and sixty degrees while in the welding process.

BTW there are only two things that a weldor can't glue back together. The crack of dawn and a broken heart. And when it comes to gaps, if he can step across it, he can fill it.

/ Lincoln Welder? #4  
Wroughtn, your very correct about the speed when welding. I have found the same thing. I have watched my friends give it a try. Even after telling them, showing them as they looked on with a helmet, they still zip along like its a race. The resulting weld was a stringy irregular pile. Great comments about how to weld. I still use my Lincoln 180 even though I use my MIG welder considerably more. My flow regulator is leaking air and needs attention so the MIG is down, a situation that just never happens with the old stick welders. Rat...

/ Lincoln Welder?
Thanks guys for the replies. I was looking at that unit because it was on clearance at Grainger, too bad no more are available nationwide. They cleared them out at $238, regular price $444.
Guess I'll just keep my cheap clearance eyes open a little longer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lincoln Welder? #6  
Inspector507, I found that same clearance deal about 3 weeks ago and called my local branch. Same story, they were already gone, so don't feel so bad.