Fence line trimmer

/ Fence line trimmer #1  

SpotsyMatt

Tractor
NH TC45
Hey there,

I've got maybe 2500' of fence line to keep trimmed and have generally been using the mower/string trimmer two-pass system to keep it cut ( there's a strand of electric that runs about 10" from the ground so I need to keep it cut) - I've used a push-type string trimmer before but it needs some welding work before it is usable again, so I spend a lot of time walking the fence line with the gas string trimmer.

I saw three different implements for trimming fence lines - one ran off of the tractor PTO. The other two are was towed behind a tractor, riding mower or ATV and use a lawnmower engine - one had a couple of wheels while the other was mounted on a larger frame with multiple (4, I think) wheels.

Anyone personally use a fence line trimmer? Wondering about your experiences with them.

Thanks,
Matt

/ Fence line trimmer #2  
I find that the tow behind trailer types are difficult to maneuver around fence posts, etc. You miss half the distance between the fence posts trying to get it in and out.

A wide mid mount mower seems to work best. That's what I usually do our pastures with. A 3pt bush hog works but is more difficult to maneuver.

Someone used to make a string type trimmer that mounted on a mower deck. That would be good too but I think it was discontinued.

How about mounting a hand held hedge trimmer on a mower deck and running it off of an inverter?:laughing:

A cycle bar mower on a skid steer would probably be ideal (but very high $$$).

Ken

/ Fence line trimmer #4  
I have been wanting one of these for a long time.

Looking at the price, I'll be waiting a LOT longer!

Besides, the video looked like it was beating up the tee posts pretty well. I would think that frequent use would really loosen up the t posts, especially in wet ground.

That being said, it would seem very possible to rig up a push lawn mower on the same principle to swing back and forth or even one of the walk behind wheeled string trimmers. Hmmm....I have to think about that one :)

Ken

/ Fence line trimmer #5  
Looking at the price, I'll be waiting a LOT longer!

Besides, the video looked like it was beating up the tee posts pretty well. I would think that frequent use would really loosen up the t posts, especially in wet ground.

That being said, it would seem very possible to rig up a push lawn mower on the same principle to swing back and forth or even one of the walk behind wheeled string trimmers. Hmmm....I have to think about that one :)

Ken

Kind of like this one? I thought about it for awhile also but decided the string might be a pain to replace every few 100 feet or so. About two years ago Northern Tools sold it for $600

Swisher Products : Postmaster

postmaster_lg.jpg

/ Fence line trimmer #6  
Yes, that was the one I remembered. Still kind of expensive for what it is, IMO.

I'm thinking of something towed with a piece of angle iron and a spring pulling it to the side. When it encounters a fence post or tree, the spring lets it move around it.

I have one of the wheeled string trimmers but it is way too hard to push along our rough, hilly pasture ground. I want a way to tow it while it works :)

Ken

/ Fence line trimmer #7  
Hey there,

I've got maybe 2500' of fence line to keep trimmed and have generally been using the mower/string trimmer two-pass system to keep it cut ( there's a strand of electric that runs about 10" from the ground so I need to keep it cut) - I've used a push-type string trimmer before but it needs some welding work before it is usable again, so I spend a lot of time walking the fence line with the gas string trimmer.

I saw three different implements for trimming fence lines - one ran off of the tractor PTO. The other two are was towed behind a tractor, riding mower or ATV and use a lawnmower engine - one had a couple of wheels while the other was mounted on a larger frame with multiple (4, I think) wheels.

Anyone personally use a fence line trimmer? Wondering about your experiences with them.

Thanks,
Matt

I do 1/4 mile (1320 ft) of fence line with my Tanaka TBC245PF string trimmer. 660 ft is goat fencing; 660 ft is horse fence (2 strands of electric, the bottom strand about 18" offf the ground). Takes about 1.25 hours. This is the 6th season for the Tanaka--had the mower serviced this year for the 1st time at the hardware store that sold it to me -- $35.

/ Fence line trimmer #8  
I looked at the video and said, wow, got to have one. Then looked at price. No way. If this was priced under $1000, I don't think the guy could keep up in making them. But at $2800 for the little one plus almost $400 in shipping, that's crazy. I could hire that out for years for that money. I did bookmark the site though.

HS

/ Fence line trimmer #9  
Yes, that was the one I remembered. Still kind of expensive for what it is, IMO.

I'm thinking of something towed with a piece of angle iron and a spring pulling it to the side. When it encounters a fence post or tree, the spring lets it move around it.

I have one of the wheeled string trimmers but it is way too hard to push along our rough, hilly pasture ground. I want a way to tow it while it works :)

Ken

I have been thinking about trying to build a mount to fit the quick attach frount end loader to possition my wheeled string trimmer just outside of my frount left wheel or maybe I will just keep using roundup on the fence line Randy

/ Fence line trimmer
Wow, the fencemower really does a number on those posts - after a season of using that thing, I suspect I'd be fussin' and cussin' about all the loose posts. I saw one - fencehog - but the website is just awful - way too hard to find out what it costs plus I suspect it might be just as hard on the posts. :(

The troy-bilt fence trimmer I had was pretty good but the head was centered - would be better if it were offset, maybe if it could swing 45-60 degrees from center to either side - too much maneuvering around each post for my liking.

Agree with the sentiment of most folks - way too much money for these things - I could pay someone to keep the fenceline trimmed for years on what one of those costs.

Thanks for the responses!