Removing veneer from table top

/ Removing veneer from table top #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
We have an old wood dinning table we leave on our front porch. The veneer has start to lift and buckle. My wife wants to remove it and has been told to rent a "steamer". Not sure what that is, but I'm wondering if one of the multi-task vibrating tools might do the job.

Any suggestions for the right tool or where to rent a steamer if it is the correct method?

Thanks,

/ Removing veneer from table top #2  
Depending on the glue used, steam might work. You could try placing hot wet towels on the top. There may be enough moisture penetration to start lifting the veneer. Once it starts you could probably peel it off.

Good luck... post pics sound like an interesting wood working project.

Lloyd

/ Removing veneer from table top #3  
I would just use a palm or belt sander on the top. Most veneers are so thin that it doesn't take much to sand through them.

Vic

/ Removing veneer from table top #4  
You could try placing hot wet towels on the top. There may be enough moisture penetration to start lifting the veneer.

Make them nice wet towels and apply the iron to them.

/ Removing veneer from table top
I should have added pictures :). Thanks for the quick replies. Towels and iron sounds doable. Don't have a belt sander, so maybe this is a buying opportunity!

Attachments

• tabletop1.jpg
    tabletop1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 404
  • tabletop2.jpg
    tabletop2.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 406
   / Removing veneer from table top #6  
One of the Multi Tools with a scrapper blade should also work.:)

/ Removing veneer from table top #7  
Is that your "back porch" table. Is that what is it gonna be used for or is it actually gonna be used in a kitchen/dining room. I hate to see a fine old oak piece like that destroyed. Perhaps is there anyway to get some replacement oak veneer to repair replace the old?..........Is the purpose just to get a table top work surface?...........

For me........the towels/steam are the best bet to save a surface that is going to be "nice". Sanding and scraping the veneer off is just gonna leave LOTS of gouges and humps that will make the top look like junk. Wait for it to dry for several days before sanding/staining/finishing

Doesnt matter if it is just a work surface; but if the intent is to pass it down to your daughter or even do some guest dining.....I would take care of it...........GET SOME VENEER AND REPAIR IT........God bless.....Dennis

/ Removing veneer from table top #8  
I watched this process recently on an episode of American Restoration. They put damp towels on top and used a steam iron (laundry style) to heat and soften the adhesive and a putty knife to peel off the veneer.

He said it was just like taking off wallpaper....but a lot harder. :thumbsup:

/ Removing veneer from table top #9  
Good advice for steam, definitely don't use sandpaper or a power scraper. You will probably disappointed in what you find underneath. Most veneered pieces used cheaper wood underneath, something not nice enough to stain and finish, hence the need to venner it with something finer. So it depends on your use.

/ Removing veneer from table top
Is that your "back porch" table. Is that what is it gonna be used for or is it actually gonna be used in a kitchen/dining room. I hate to see a fine old oak piece like that destroyed. Perhaps is there anyway to get some replacement oak veneer to repair replace the old?..........Is the purpose just to get a table top work surface?...........

For me........the towels/steam are the best bet to save a surface that is going to be "nice". Sanding and scraping the veneer off is just gonna leave LOTS of gouges and humps that will make the top look like junk. Wait for it to dry for several days before sanding/staining/finishing

Doesnt matter if it is just a work surface; but if the intent is to pass it down to your daughter or even do some guest dining.....I would take care of it...........GET SOME VENEER AND REPAIR IT........God bless.....Dennis

The table is on our covered front porch and has been there for at least 15 years. We eat out there about every meal during the summer. It has taken a lot of abuse, but is too heavy to move indoors in the winter, although I might be able to move it with my forks - just no room to store.

We are going to try the towel/steam iron approach and I'll see if we can find some veneer.

Thanks,