Vermont?

/ Vermont? #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Just starting to think about a move to vermont...I live in the berkshires area of western, mass, which in a lot of ways is very similar to VT, but none-the-less is still part of massachusetts /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have a nice big place here(lots of land), but the writing is on the wall already in terms of development pressures in the not to distant future. That combined with the cronic tax and spend government is making me rethink things...

Anyway, I know of you guys live in VT...any recommendations on areas to narrow in on the search?

I'd be ideally looking for an older farm type setup, barns etc, 100 acres or more would be better with a mix of tillable/open and forested lands etc. Condition of the house/buildings is less important to me than the land/location and potential.

Preferably in an area that is less likely to feel too much development pressure in the next few decades (I know no place is immumne) and I don't need to live in any "trendy" area where the prices have already gone thru the roof.

Recommendations on regions to look at, realtors recommendations or even any specifc places for sale would be appreciated.

Also, any big issues facing vermont that I should know about?

Thanks.

/ Vermont? #2  
My general impression - and its only an impression from this forum - is that the people in Vermont don't want anybody else moving there /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

/ Vermont? #3  
You might want to explore Vermont's northeast kingdom, or somewhere where Boondox lives in the northern part of the state. Forget the Bennington, Brattleboro, Arlington, and Manchester areas. Land and/or homes in these areas have already skyrocketed well out of range of most middle income wage earners. I've also heard they have some kind of extensive land use regs and laws in place that control somewhat how one can use or develop their land. Boondox might be more familiar with this than I am.

.....Bob

/ Vermont?
>>Vermont don't want anybody else moving there

Probably true...better get in before the pass a law forbiding it though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Vermont? #5  
I think you can run, but I don't think you can hide (from the tax man and those who want to control your land). Remember the popular song "This land is your land, this land is MY land".
Others want you to own it, and let them decide on how you will operate it and charge you mucho taxes to do it for them. I hope that doesn't sound too negative.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Vermont? #6  
Doc heb: The reason for that is 75% of them have not lived there 20 years.. Last man in wants to lock the door!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Vermont? #7  
I'd be cautious about Vermont...once Governor Dean becomes President Dean, the whole place might get as cutesy as Kennebunkport, Maine.

I've been to Kyrgystan....the taxes are low (Government can't collect em too well) and they don't spend it on things that benefit most people. There is lots and lots of space and mountains that beat the heck out of the Berkshires or the Green Mountains in Vermont. One of several drawbacks: I didn't see any compact tractor dealers.

I'd guess you've got to get pretty far into the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont to find prices that would induce you to give up a great spread in the Berkshires. Of course if you did, there would be easy access to canoeing on the upper Connecticut, skiing and hiking in both NH and VT....mmmm

Good luck...hope the Vermonters haven't already slammed the door.

/ Vermont? #8  
<font color="blue">"...once Governor Dean becomes President Dean,..."</font>

You mean....if he becomes President, don't you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Vermont? #9  
<font color="blue">"...Condition of the house/buildings is less important to me than the land/location and potential....Preferably in an area that is less likely to feel too much development pressure in the next few decades...any big issues facing Vermont that I should know about..."</font>

You may want to also familiarize yourself with the information in the following link. This may assist in your 'relocation' decision.

Vermont Land Use Laws -- Smart Growth

/ Vermont? #10  
Ejb, here's some of the downsides to living in Vt. High tax's. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Now the upside. I live in Fairfield Vt right in the center of dairy country. It's beautiful and but a bummer to try and get building permits. Good old boy network you know!
We're about 12 miles from St. Albans pop.8000. 45 minutes from Burlington the largest city and a hour away from Montreal. It's the best place for us to raise our boys. Now if you want out of the way somewhat try Eden, Morrisville, Elmore or Wolcott. Not much employmet but alot of land. Almost all of this is considered Northeast Kingdom.
We don't try to keep everyone out only the ones with no tractors!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif We now have a new Gov and he's just got on board so who knows whats next.
His big thing right now is no property tax for farmers and big spending cuts in many social sevices areas. Just what I read in the paper anyway. No offense meant to anyone. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care