Can I drive the Gator on the road.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #1  

Cougar300

Have a John Deere Gator that I inherited from my Dad.
Where we live I consider rural, have the occasional farm tractor going down the road.
Question is: If I put one of those slow moving vehicle emblems on the back of the Gator could I get away with driving it down the side of the road.
It would be fun to take it for a ride to some friends house down the road, but I don't want a ticket.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #2  
Usually you can if its for "Farm" use - Traveling between farms - Using it to Spray thistles, check fence etc

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #3  
It's likely that your use would be legal, but check your local laws. What might be true here in TX is certainly not the rule in WI. You might have special lighting requirements and be limited to daytime hours only. It's best to know before you go.:thumbsup:

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #4  
I notice quite a few of the neighbors including myself drive their side by sides on the road with SLM signs and no one here has gotten a ticket. Let us know what you find out.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #5  
from thier website http://www.wiutv.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=15 :
Here is the definition of a UTV that is in the bill (soon to be law):

6. 填tility terrain vehicle means a motor driven device, other than a golf cart or low−speed vehicle, that is designed to be used primarily off of a highway and that has, and was originally manufactured with, all of the following:
A gross weight of more than 900 pounds but not more than 1,999 pounds.

Four or more low−pressure tires.

A cargo box or dump box.

A steering wheel.

A tail light.

A brake light.

Two headlights.

A width of not more than 65 inches.

Seats for at least 2 occupants, all of which seating is designed not to be straddled.

A system of seat belts, or a similar system, for restraining each occupant of the device in the event of an accident.

A system of structural members designed to reduce the likelihood that an occupant would be crushed as the result of a rollover of the device.

wisconsin considers UTV's to be ATV's therefor you need to follow ATV laws http://www.atvsafety.gov/legislation/WisconsinLaw.pdf.\

It looks like you will need to do some reading and may need to get it registered for public use and looks like you need a helmet, be 10ft or more away from state highway, etc,etc.

Looks like a simple ride to your freinds house is gonna be more complicated then you thought.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #6  
Legal or not, I bet not, I would not get on the road with a Gator, other UTV or ATV. The Gator is gong to have limited visibility, cars are at best doing 55 mph while the Gator will be putt putting along in comparison.

I would be surprised if a Gator is legal on the road. If it is, I would think it would have to be licensed and insured. Check your state laws. They should be online.

Later,
Dan

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #7  
The simple answer in Texas would be "no", but there are always exceptions.:laughing: I think the UTV is considered the same as an ATV, so:
Sec. 663.037. OPERATION ON PUBLIC ROADWAY PROHIBITED. (a) A person may not operate an all-terrain vehicle on a public street, road, or highway except as provided by this section.
(b) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the vehicle across a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway, if the operator:
(1) brings the vehicle to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or main traveled way of the roadway;
(2) yields the right-of-way to oncoming traffic that is an immediate hazard; and
(3) makes the crossing:
(A) at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the roadway;
(B) at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing; and
(C) with the vehicle's headlights and taillights lighted.
(c) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the vehicle across a divided highway other than an interstate or limited access highway only at an intersection of the highway with another public street, road, or highway.
(d) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway if:
(1) the transportation is in connection with:
(A) the production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying, processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing, selling, or use of agricultural products, as defined by Section 52.002, Agriculture Code; or
(B) utility work performed by a utility;
(2) the operator attaches to the back of the vehicle on top of an eight-foot-long pole a triangular orange flag;
(3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are illuminated;
(4) the operator holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001;
(5) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle occurs in the daytime; and
(6) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle does not exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination.
(d-1) Provisions of this code regarding helmet and eye protection use, safety certification, and other vehicular restrictions do not apply to Subsection (d).
(e) The director of the Department of Public Safety shall adopt standards and specifications that apply to the color, size, and mounting position of the flag required under Subsections (d)(2) and (g)(2).
(f) Except as provided by Subsection (g), this section does not apply to the operation of an all-terrain vehicle that is owned by the state, a county, or a municipality by a person who is an authorized operator of the vehicle.
(g) A peace officer may operate an all-terrain vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway only if:
(1) the transportation is in connection with the performance of the officer's official duty;
(2) the officer attaches to the back of the vehicle on top of an eight-foot-long pole a triangular orange flag;
(3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are illuminated;
(4) the officer holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001; and
(5) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle does not exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 472, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 483, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Amended by:
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 242, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

Sec. 663.038. VIOLATION OF CHAPTER; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person violates a provision of this chapter.
(b) Except as otherwise provided by Title 6 or this title, an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #8  
The simple answer in Texas would be "no", but there are always exceptions.:laughing: I think the UTV is considered the same as an ATV, so:

Bird, I don't think the ATV and UTV can be considered the same. Most UTVs are specifically designed to be 25 mph or less so they fit the farm/tax exempt requirement. I also could be wrong, but if you are using them for farm work, I think they are considered the same as a tractor. Those like the Polaris Ranger and others capable of 25+ mph would not fit the same specs and would be considered like the ATVs. It just seems like Kawasaki and Kubota went to a lot of trouble to limit the UTVs to lower speeds. Must be a reason. . . .

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #9  
Bird, I don't think the ATV and UTV can be considered the same. Most UTVs are specifically designed to be 25 mph or less so they fit the farm/tax exempt requirement. I also could be wrong, but if you are using them for farm work, I think they are considered the same as a tractor. Those like the Polaris Ranger and others capable of 25+ mph would not fit the same specs and would be considered like the ATVs. It just seems like Kawasaki and Kubota went to a lot of trouble to limit the UTVs to lower speeds. Must be a reason. . . .

Jim, I know there's a considerable difference between ATVs and UTVs, but I'm not so sure the law considers them differently. If there is a separate law (and there may be), I don't know where to find it. Did you notice the ATV can be operated on the roads for "farm" use (but lots more words than "farm")?:D In general, of course a motor vehicle has to have an inspection sticker, license plate, lights, etc., etc. to be legal on a public road, so our legislature wrote specific laws for the ATVs, but I haven't found such law specifically for UTVs. Just a wild guess, of course, but I'd be surprised if an officer stopped a UTV for driving on "country" roads, but other places I'd be surprised if they didn't stop them.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #10  
Jim,
I have a friend that has a Mule, it will do 50mph, but the low speed design to me, is they are generally designed for off road use.

What struck me as funny in Birds post was (4) the officer holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001;

Most officers I worked with had a DL:D