Remember the winter of 1977 ?

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was looking at an old National Geographic a while back and it had a story on the 1977 winter,it said it was the only time in recorded history that there was snow on all of the 48 continental states at the same time,though it was spotty snow coverage in the southern states.

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #2  
I was thinking it was '78 but maybe '77 when we had a record cold spell here in N TX. Over 10 days it dropped into the single digits several times and never got above freezing for the whole 10 days. We had several inches of snow and sleet the first day so that all stayed also. A lot of trees and shrubs died that normally survive our winters. I know that's not much for our northern brethren but that was cold for us. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #3  
I do remember as a teenager that I put 2500 miles on an old Ski-Doo snowmobile between 1977-79. That was just riding within 10 miles of my home, no out of town riding! I just smile when I hear folks talk about doing 4 or 500 miles a year, including trips to the Adirondacks. Thank God Dad was generous with the gas!
Will

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ?
1977/1978 were 2 bad winters back to back...77 was slightly colder/78 was cold and a little more snow,although 77 had plenty of snow...79 was bad,but not as bad as 77 and 78.
77(I believe,maybe 78 ) they had a big blizzard in Ohio....
That is the way I remember it.

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #5  
What I remember is the ice storm on New Years Day 1978. After about 8" of snow the week before we got hammered with an ice storm that left an inch of ice on everything and then had more snow. Christmas vacation was extended an extra week. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but we had to make it up before summer vacation /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #7  
Best I can recall, we had a school superintendent that typically NEVER called school off. Delayed an hour maybe... lots of cussing about that issue at the time...

In one of my yearbooks, there is a picture of the outside blizzard, looking like Anartic.. the caption on the pic as best I recall was "Ohh... school finally closes for a day"

For those there during this, that said all /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #8  
I remember during that time frame experiancing the coldest temps of my life -32 degrees. My dad had a Arctic Cat, my one brother had a Rupp, I had a Polaris and my other brother had a Ski-Doo Man that brings back some COLD memories... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #9  
We had a terrible ice storm in michigan in 1976. The electricity was out for a week, the family lived in the "living" room where the fireplace was and we hung a blanket in opening to the rest of the house to keep the heat in.

listened to radio theater on transistor.

after that my dad stocked up on oil lamps, and a generator.

I dont remember the next winters being bad but my mom got her first four wheel drive in 78 so something happened.

/ Remember the winter of 1977 ? #10  
Probably a safe bet that there was some snow in Alaska at the time as well. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif