Pocket door hardware (inside door)

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door) #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife wants to add a pocket door in a new bathroom we're doing.

Seems there is a wide variety of vendors out there. Anyone know anything about this stuff such that I can be sure to get decent/good hardware the first time around?

I'd prefer hardware with ball bearings if possible....yes, even for a simple closet door. What can I say, I'm retentive :D

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door) #2  
Make sure that nobody adds extra hardware near the door - ie, hanging things. We have several pocket doors with scars where someone put a nail in the wall 18" or so away from the door frame to hang a picture. Including one with a hole where someone was drilling a hole in the sheet rock for an anchor.

Keith

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door) #3  
We put pocket doors on my new closet and DD's bathroom. I like both of the doors, mine has no lock just a recessed area where I open it. DD's has a lock in the middle of the recess and I don't like it. DH ordered them over the net but I don't know the vendor.

But we love the doors, there was no room in either one for a regular door to open.

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door) #4  
We just put in a stanley pocket door kit in our upstairs washroom. Buy super short drywall screws at the same time. Went well, but measure the components, we reframed to match the instructions before the kit came it, turns out they had an extra 1/2" for shimming that we could have used to avoid reframing.

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door) #5  
I believe our pocket door installed in the master bath came with all the mounting hardware in the door kit. The only thing we had to add was the Weslock lock kit in a color and style to match the other door hardware in our house.

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door) #6  
I have installed a number of pocket doors recently. I would suggest Johnson hardware. Good value, well made, wide range of products, made in the US, available on line and at many retailers. What more could you ask for?

/ Pocket door hardware (inside door)
Thanks everyone, some practical ideas there... my wife is one to hang things wherever she can. We probably would have been bitten by the nail through the door concept!

I found Johnson Hardware! I liked what I saw and it was them that made me wonder if something even better was out there.

This will be all new framing so hopefully, if anyone puts a nail through the door, it will be the wife, not me :D